Best way to check belt alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to check belt alignment?

I've got a squeak that is driving me nuts. It's on the smog delete pulley, but its not the bearing. I can put soap on the belt and it stops. I tried running a tighter belt but it pops off at the A/C compressor. I suspect something is slightly out of alignment, but cannot eyeball where it is.

Is there any method to make sure everything is aligned properly? I have read that this is a somewhat common issue with the vortech bracket? I can't just bypass the smog delete pulley because then the belt routing won't work.

Might be in idler pulley or belt tensioner.
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I had similar problems with my Procharger bracket. Tried shimming it up the best I could get and it continued to squeak. Installed new tensioner, still squeaked. I finally switched out the brand new Gates belt for a Goodyear Gatorback belt and problem solved. Dead quiet. And I ran the exact same size.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        I had similar problems with my Procharger bracket. Tried shimming it up the best I could get and it continued to squeak. Installed new tensioner, still squeaked. I finally switched out the brand new Gates belt for a Goodyear Gatorback belt and problem solved. Dead quiet. And I ran the exact same size.
        I'll give that a shot. I'm running a Gates, and have already replaced the tensioner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I hate gates belts they stretch out more than other brands.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
            I'll give that a shot. I'm running a Gates, and have already replaced the tensioner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
            Let us know if it works out for you. Certainly worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
              At a shop I used to run we had a policy to only run gatorbacks on certain vehicles. They really do help with squeaks.
              sigpic
              00 Camaro SS, stuff, tuned by Sam - sold
              2004 GMC Sierra, tuned by Sam
              03 CR250R crash test dummy vehicle
              08 Yard machines mower, choppin up those blades

Originally posted by Stephen
              FUCK!! im gay then

Comment

Originally posted by 00pooterSS View Post
                At a shop I used to run we had a policy to only run gatorbacks on certain vehicles. They really do help with squeaks.
                They are considerably quieter.

Comment

The best way is with a belt laser alignment tool.
                  Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I have a laser alignment tool. Unfortunately I'm not all that close to you; I live in McKinney.
                    You are welcome to come and use it if you want though.
                    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

I'll see what the Gatorback does before I go that far. Just waiting until I figure out what all I need to add to my summit order... balancer, belt, radiator, the list goes on and on!

Comment

Working...
                      X