1985 mustang blinker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 mustang blinker question

I have the left blinker working and the right side doesnt. I checked the blinker fluid and it's fine. What is causing this?
    Big Rooster Racing
    1985 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Josh.0 View Post
    I have the left blinker working and the right side doesnt. I checked the blinker fluid and it's fine. What is causing this?
    Flasher or the Turn Signal Lever on the steering wheel.

Comment

It seems obvious, but the bulb is good, right? If so, then I second the flasher unit or the turn signal cam inside the column (what the lever hooks up to).

Comment

I found on my 86 that the corner lights wouldn't work till every bulb was good, and then it still took a couple days. 3rd brake light good?
        sigpic

Comment

All of the bulbs have to be good in order for the flasher to work. In most older cars one bulb will light up solid if there's a bad bulb. Usually it's the same bulb that's bad is the one that lights up (they're dual element 1257 bulbs).

(the flasher relies on all of the bulb's resistance at once for it to function, the same reason when you put in LED bulbs, you have to use resistors inline)
          Last edited by turbostang; 06-06-2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
            I found on my 86 that the corner lights wouldn't work till every bulb was good, and then it still took a couple days. 3rd brake light good?
            1985 was the last year that didn't require a 3rd brake light, I just replaced the bulbs at the beginning of this year. I hope that one went out so its an easy fix

If all of the bulbs are good what is the next thing to check
            Big Rooster Racing
            1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Flasher

Comment

Originally posted by Josh.0 View Post
                1985 was the last year that didn't require a 3rd brake light, I just replaced the bulbs at the beginning of this year. I hope that one went out so its an easy fix

If all of the bulbs are good what is the next thing to check
                If the bulb is at least lit up, then the wiring is good - so it would almost have to be the flasher or the MF switch.

Comment

I had one on my GT that wouldn't work. Ended up being the socket itself. Went to autozone and bought a universal turn signal socket for like 8 bucks. Spliced it in and now it works like a charm. Even plugs into the stock housing like it's supposed to! Only problem now, is that bulb is brighter than the others. There must be some voltage loss in the old aging sockets.

Edit : the light did work as long as the turn signal wasn't on. Replacing a socket fixed my problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Working...
                  X