No announcement yet.

forged vs hyper pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive around with Sunoco 112 inn the front tank all the time. No worries here.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
      I drive around with Sunoco 112 inn the front tank all the time. No worries here.
      You have to remember not very many people are as all over there tune and the condition of their parts as you are . You are not the norm .
      Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
        interesting....there weren't forged in the Grand Nationals either..... I was told they don't need them by GN guru's when we looked at rebuilding our shortblock. They told me to get the tune right and forged weren't needed.
        Which GN gurus told you this? I've been told the exact opposite. Head gaskets have long been the weak spot on GN's. Toughen up the HG's and guess what lets go next? The stock pistons:

Been there done that. I just had my shortblock built up with an RJC girdle, roller cam, and FORGED pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          Which GN gurus told you this? I've been told the exact opposite. Head gaskets have long been the weak spot on GN's. Toughen up the HG's and guess what lets go next? The stock pistons:

Been there done that. I just had my shortblock built up with an RJC girdle, roller cam, and FORGED pistons.
          That Girdle is a bad ass junk of steel. My machinist was thoroughly impressed with the 14 bolt girdle I sent down for my block. Mine Regal will be 10:1 with forged Ross pistons, roller, carbed, and a 250 hp shot of the giggle gas

Current is 8-8.5:1 cast pistons, mild cam, @165hp shot of nitrous, shitty heads, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
            That Girdle is a bad ass junk of steel. My machinist was thoroughly impressed with the 14 bolt girdle I sent down for my block. Mine Regal will be 10:1 with forged Ross pistons, roller, carbed, and a 250 hp shot of the giggle gas

Current is 8-8.5:1 cast pistons, mild cam, @165hp shot of nitrous, shitty heads, etc etc

Without having any dyno runs, or as of yet even picking out a turbo I'm using informed guesswork to say what kind of power I expect it will make. The engine builder, a few tuners I've spoken to, and previous similar builds say I should put down around 550 at the wheels if its tuned good. All I want is a 10 second timeslip...no cage, full interior with AC, and stereo blasting....on slicks of course and with good gas and a chip. Everyone I've talked to seems to think my combo should quite easily run mid 10's. I'm hoping.

Comment

I was aiming for @500 at the crank with my original plans, could be higher at this point. Went from a hydraulic flat tappet to a full roller with more lift and duration, bigger intake valves (after they proved to add a decent increase on the flow bench). My hopes were 225-250 on motor and spray another 250, my machinist and my buddy that will assemble it for me were of the 250-300 range on motor. IF it's anywhere in the 300 range I'll be stoked. I don't have any timeslip goals to speak of, just want it to be fun and peppy to drive off the bottle. It takes a nitrous hit to make it fun on the street now, but it's a good dependable cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                I was aiming for @500 at the crank with my original plans, could be higher at this point. Went from a hydraulic flat tappet to a full roller with more lift and duration, bigger intake valves (after they proved to add a decent increase on the flow bench). My hopes were 225-250 on motor and spray another 250, my machinist and my buddy that will assemble it for me were of the 250-300 range on motor. IF it's anywhere in the 300 range I'll be stoked. I don't have any timeslip goals to speak of, just want it to be fun and peppy to drive off the bottle. It takes a nitrous hit to make it fun on the street now, but it's a good dependable cruiser.
                300 crank HP from a N/A 231 would be amazing. Its a capable motor for sure...but I'd be amazed if you could pull numbers like that N/A.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  300 crank HP from a N/A 231 would be amazing. Its a capable motor for sure...but I'd be amazed if you could pull numbers like that N/A.
                  I'm not holding my breath, just going off what the guys with more experience in engine building are rough guesstimating. It's no stage II nascar engine for sure lol. Hell, it's been in the works for the last 5 or 6 years. I've got parts scattered between my house, personal shop, and buddies shop at this point. I've been waiting for him to have a break to start the assembly so I can figure out the rest of the little parts I need, pushrod length, etc. I've got the heads done, blocks ready, turbo crank, girdle, cam, lifters, timing chain setup, head gaskets, modified a timing cover for better oiling, oil pump ready to go, rods and all the arp hardware.

Comment

Working...
                  X