forged vs hyper pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forged vs hyper pistons

I hear hypers make more power, any truth to that?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Did you by chance ask any of these individuals who stated this, HOW, they in themselves make more power?

Comment

hypers are not strong, but think of them as the bare minimum tool needed to carry a ring package, which is what does the work in a N/A situation. you can run them with tighter clearances which allows you to shorten the skirt, and they are significantly lighter than a forged. But if you are creating cylinder pressure beyond N/A, (nitrous, turbo, etc.) you need something with more beef.
      pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
        hypers are not strong, but think of them as the bare minimum tool needed to carry a ring package, which is what does the work in a N/A situation. you can run them with tighter clearances which allows you to shorten the skirt, and they are significantly lighter than a forged. But if you are creating cylinder pressure beyond N/A, (nitrous, turbo, etc.) you need something with more beef.
        well said,
        True Street MotorSports
        901 N McDonald St Suite 100
        McKinney TX 75069

Shop 972.542.9886
        Fax 972. 542.9879

Nitrous Refills $4lb

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
          hypers are not strong, but think of them as the bare minimum tool needed to carry a ring package, which is what does the work in a N/A situation.
          Why were they used in 3.8 SC engines then?

Comment

I'm guessing cost

Comment

Even so, they do well in non-stock/higher boost applications on the SC's.

Comment

quality, quality, quality.

Comment

They do well in 100+psi diesel applications, but you don't have to worry about pre-det

Forged aren't as durable for a driver because of the reduced piston to wall and no steel ring lands
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                    good question, maybe they ran the math and cylinder pressure vs. bore size had bmep in a range that a hyper piston could handle.
                    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

I have personally seen hyper pistons with the wrist pin pulled out of them.

I'd go with forged for peace of mind.

Comment

Forged only here. Always room for more. Spend a little more time warming it up, no issues.
                        Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

While were on the subject, can anyone recommend any certain good/affordable brands of both forged & hyper pistons?

I plan on doing a rebuild myself soon...
                          1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            interesting....there weren't forged in the Grand Nationals either..... I was told they don't need them by GN guru's when we looked at rebuilding our shortblock. They told me to get the tune right and forged weren't needed.

Are you planning rebuild of your Miata motor?

Comment

I don't care what some slide rule engineer deems acceptable to get emissions down and a high percentage of engines out of the warranty period. If it's a hot rod engine, and you want it to be tough, put forged pistons in it. Even if it's n/a for now, you might want to do something more fun with it later and you won't want to regret your cheapass decision.
                              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X