Extreme engine building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
    typically the rule of thumb is .001 clearance per 1 inch of journal diameter.
    I like to run .01 on mine, custom oil pump and gear oil.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
      o.O

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
          Same as motorcycles, its plated. If you guys arent using oil and water heaters you are crazy.
          Or any BMW/Mercedes engine made in the last 10+ years.

Comment

What are the advantages of a plated bore?
            Could I get my iron 302 block bores plated?
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Specializing in Nikasil cylinder plating, cylinder boring and cylinder repair. Cylinder head porting and repair. Crankshaft repair and crankshaft balancing.

these are the guys that can do it......
              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

You can use lower tension rings, no break in period and if everything goes perfectly they'll last longer. Unfortunately we have things like dirt in the air and sulfur in our fuels that'll damage most platings over time. Don't try to reinvent the wheel with a cast 302 though, it's not worth the effort. Whatever money you'd spend on exotic materials would be better spent on the heads and valvetrain.

Unless you have someone like Billy Glidden putting the top end together there is way more gain per dollar there than anything you could do with the short block.

Comment

Lower friction, better sealing.

I'd be doing all kinds of trick shit if I could, but the rules say I can't and they check all that stuff. I couldn't even get away with roller cam bearings. The best I could probably get away with are coated bearings and low tension rings with a slipper skirt piston.

Edit: If you're looking to gain some RPM and run a solid flat tappet Ferrea has a valve/lifter combo that's good for another 750 RPM with no other changes.

Comment

My class goes something like this, xyz is allowed, if it's not listed here, it's not allowed. I was just curious about the bore's.

Comment

My class goes something like this, xyz is allowed, if it's not listed here, it's not allowed. I was just curious about the bore's.
                      Mine essentially says the same thing. "If it doesn't say you can, you can't." That doesn't mean I'm not going to try. With as tight as the rules are nowadays, the little things that add up are what's going to make the difference. It may not be the couple horsepower you get from bearings, or low tension rings, or coated slipper skirts, but when you add them all up throughout the driveline your cumulative difference is what will win you races.

Comment

Miata guys were doing some creative machine work to get the compression up.
                        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                          Miata guys were doing some creative machine work to get the compression up.
                          Can you share anything? Flat tops are not conducive to high compression ratios.

Comment

lots of welding involved lol
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              You can use lower tension rings, no break in period and if everything goes perfectly they'll last longer. Unfortunately we have things like dirt in the air and sulfur in our fuels that'll damage most platings over time. Don't try to reinvent the wheel with a cast 302 though, it's not worth the effort. Whatever money you'd spend on exotic materials would be better spent on the heads and valvetrain.

Unless you have someone like Billy Glidden putting the top end together there is way more gain per dollar there than anything you could do with the short block.
                              it takes diamonds to move material from the type of plating i'm speaking of, the pistons will be long gone way before the bore is hurt.
                              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Working...
                              X