Bonneville 3.8 SC question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville 3.8 SC question.

My mom was driving to work in North Dallas and her car started smoking. A friend of hers looked at her car and said an oil line blew. Got oil all over the radiator. I plan on going over there tomorrow to look at it and maybe fix it. Any idea what the oil hose could be and do you think it's something that autozone might stock on a Sunday. It's a 1993 Bonneville 3.8 SC.

I'm coming from McKinney and going to Beltline and Preston. Just wanna be prepared when I get there. Any suggestions on what will clean the oil off of everything?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

There shouldn't be any oil lines on that car. Best guess would be a transmission line.

Comment

There is a power steering cooler line run along the cradle on those cara that could be damaged or cracked. if the series I motors are like the series II motors the oil filter is right in the middle of the serpentine belt setup if any road debris hit that it will oil the belt and sling it all over

Comment

Change of plans. I will be going out there tomorrow. The tow truck driver said it was the short hose hooked up to the inter-cooler that blew.

Comment

Originally posted by GT Fanatic View Post
          Change of plans. I will be going out there tomorrow. The tow truck driver said it was the short hose hooked up to the inter-cooler that blew.
          Unless that car has been modified, that tow truck driver is an idiot since the 3.8L doesn't use an intercooler. He may be seeing the radiator or power steering cooler, which would make more sense.

Comment

He could be referring to the plastic elbow that connects to the lower intake directly under the blower snout. But jc316 is correct no intercooler.

Comment

Originally posted by butt86 View Post
              He could be referring to the plastic elbow that connects to the lower intake directly under the blower snout. But jc316 is correct no intercooler.
              this, common failure, the fittings are in the help section of most auto parts stores. You have to remove the alternator and alternator/tensioner bracket to replace the pieces if this is it. Make sure to have a couple of bent pics as the ends and orings like to break off into the lower intake, timing cover, and the to ports going into the tensioner bracket.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. It ended up being the return transmission line coming from the inter-cooler. Took about 40 minutes to do. Probably could have taken less but transmission fluid was everywhere.

Weird question. I checked the transmission fluid when I was done and it was a pint low. She drove it for 3 minutes before shutting it off. Shouldn't it have been a lot lower? Can it being over filled have caused this?

Thanks guys. My mom and I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                X