Intermittent miss??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent miss??

Not sure how to completely describe this...

Drove the mustang to work the other day, and on the way home, the temps were a little high for my comfort (around 230F). Then all of a sudden, the A/F gauge showed lean while under slow acceleration. If I gave it more gas, it'd richen up, but still lacked power and ran like shit. The car sounds like a cylinder isn't firing... I pulled over, let it cool down, but it still did the same thing. Then all of a sudden while I was sitting at a red light, it went away. Car richened up, and was smooth again. I chalked it up to a fluke.

Then, today took it out to run to Starbucks, and got on it on the service road headed home. Once I got out of it, same issue as above (except temps were normal).

Where do I start? I checked the plug wires, checked the injector plugs....

I'm running the autolite 24's gapped at .030 (per Andy @ Prime-Tuning) if that matters.

Car runs great 90% of the time... but when it gets in this "mood", it sucks.

It may be a long shot but check the injector harness for bad spots in the wire. I chased an intermittent dead miss on my s-10 for a LONG time. Every shop I took it to said it was a blown head gasket. Finally found someone willing to spend some time diagnosing it properly. It turned out to be a bad spot in the harness.

Sometimes it would run just fine, others, it would not fire on cylinder 3 AT ALL. Bumps or hard acceleration would cause the wire to either make or lose contact/continuity.

Is it throwing a code so you can see which cylinder or if it is s random cylinder misfire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Fuel pump ?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Describe rich/lean condition also.

My car also tuned my Andy, will idle at 14.5-15:1 afr. and drives at 13-14:1, wot is 12.6-12.8:1. On decel in gear it can spike to 16:1 but that's normal.

Comment

Afr is the same as when it was stock with a wide band. Except it idles better now, new IAT.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            It may be a long shot but check the injector harness for bad spots in the wire. I chased an intermittent dead miss on my s-10 for a LONG time. Every shop I took it to said it was a blown head gasket. Finally found someone willing to spend some time diagnosing it properly. It turned out to be a bad spot in the harness.

Sometimes it would run just fine, others, it would not fire on cylinder 3 AT ALL. Bumps or hard acceleration would cause the wire to either make or lose contact/continuity.

Is it throwing a code so you can see which cylinder or if it is s random cylinder misfire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I'll check. I don't have a CEL, so its a pain in the ass on these cars. Counting blinks and shit... how gay.

I will say the injectors were bought used. Of course everyone says they have low miles, so who knows. They are the Bosch "Mean Green" 42lb ers.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
              Describe rich/lean condition also.

My car also tuned my Andy, will idle at 14.5-15:1 afr. and drives at 13-14:1, wot is 12.6-12.8:1. On decel in gear it can spike to 16:1 but that's normal.
              Idle is around 18, crusing is around 14 - 15, smooth acceleration is around 15 - 16, WOT is 11.4 - 11.8.

When the issue is going on, my smooth acceleration value is around 20 - 22.

Comment

Fuel pump ?
                It's a new Walbro 255.

Comment

Which bank is your wide band on?

Sounds like the lean is just picking up the misfire, mine pegged my gauge at 18 when I melted a plug and had a dead hole.

Best way to find which one is dead is to see which header primary is colder than the rest., or hotter if its a lean miss.

Comment

Which bank is your wide band on?

Sounds like the lean is just picking up the misfire, mine pegged my gauge at 18 when I melted a plug and had a dead hole.

Best way to find which one is dead is to see which header primary is colder than the rest., or hotter if its a lean miss.
                    Its in the drivers side of the H pipe before the "H", and after the O2 sensor. I'll have to track down an infrared thermometer to determine which one is cooler / hotter. Think my dad has one so we shall see.

Comment

Ran the KOEO and KOER test today...

KOEO: 15, 31, 84, 95
                      KOER: 12, 31

Havent ran the cylinder balance test yet... it got too late.

Looked up the codes, but I'm not 100% solid on what exactly they mean, or if any of them would cause my symptoms.

Thoughts?
                      Last edited by danielhv; 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Comment

15 = EEC (PCM) Read Only Memory (ROM) test failed
                          31 = (Cars ONLY): EVP or PFE circuit below minimum voltage
                          84 = (Cars ONLY): EGR vacuum regulator circuit failure
                          95 = Fuel pump secondary circuit fault

12 = RPM at idle out of range/high
                          31 = (Cars ONLY): EVP or PFE circuit below minimum voltage

The only one that I would suspect would cause my symptoms is 95... but I dunno wtf it means. Fuel pump is running fine as far as I can tell...

Comment

95 could be from my kill switch. It is tied into the fuel pump power wire...

Comment

Check your grounds.
                              sigpic
                              1987 Mustang LX Coupe, yes it's slow
                              1985 Mustang LX Coupe, not slow

Comment

Working...
                              X