Horsepower Estimate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower Estimate....

I always see these threads out here, but haven't ever entered one myself. I'm currently building an engine for someone with the following....

- Shortblock = BBF 468 (4.40 bore / 3.85 stroke)

- Heads = Ford Racing M-6049-SCJ (Jon Kaase / Aluminum), 2.20"/1.76" valves, flow approx. 330 intake/225 exhaust.

- Compression = 10.97:1

- Camshaft = Comp XE hydraulic/flat, 230 duration @ .050, .555 lift, 110 center (I know, seems a little conservative...he didn't want to pony up for the roller).

- Ford Racing 1.73 Roller Rockers

- Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake

- Holley HP 850 Carb

I'm going to guess 480-510hp, and about 510-530tq. depending on the tune.

BTW - this is going in a Factory Five Cobra that has a Liberty geared Tremec in it, 8.8 IRS, and 315/35 DR's on the rear....so no matter how lazy it is, it'll still feel like a lot (but I'm doubting this one will be anything but "lazy" ). Don't have a good picture of it, but here it is photo-bombing the fastback....

Last edited by Rreemo; 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

You should be good on your estimate, maybe evens little low. I don't think my desktop dyno will run on Win7, or I'd punch it in.

Honestly, with 11:1, I'd go with a bigger cam.

My .030 over, so 466 made 485 with worked iron heads, but I can't remember if it was the performer rpm cam or the big lunati. It only had 10.2:1 comp also.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Yeah, I agree on the cam...I had recommended a hydraulic roller for it, but he just didn't want to spend the extra cash. Already had this shelf Comp grind...no doubt it could make more with those heads and that compression....I think the roller would have made a huge difference.

Compression is a little on the high side for a street driver, but these dang heads are 72cc...so even with a .0189" dish, I'm actually using a .050 head gasket just to get the compression down to around the 11:1 mark.

Should be a wild ride in that little Cobra.
      70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Agreed. Mine was in a 3900lb truck, and was still fun.
        86 SVO - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

How do those handle with all that weight up front? With aluminum heads that would be a easy 650#+ on the nose.

That will not be a slouch by any means.

Comment

They had 427s with iron heads, no discernible difference. The "early" 289 Cobras handle better, but horsepower is horsepower!!!
            86 SVO - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken the 429/460 engines are about 100 # heavier than the old FE's....so with aluminum heads it's going to be near the same as an iron headed FE. But this thing does sit WAY back in the chasis to. Matter of fact, so much so, that I had to use the hoist from the side to get the old one out b/c the arm wasn't reaching over far enough from the front.

I'll update with some pics once I get it all together and back in. I'm still waiting on a crankshaft.
              70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Around 350 is my guess..
                Street car.

Comment

Working...
                X