Fox Mustang won't start - starter just spins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Mustang won't start - starter just spins

I just finished putting the heads back on my car after Morgan and Sons went through them. When I tried to start it, the starter sounded like it was grinding on the flywheel, and now it just spins (like it isn't spinning out to hit the flywheel). I tried my spare starter and it does the same thing. I replaced the battery today, same thing. I checked the wiring and all looks good. I can turn the motor by hand with a breaker bar on the flywheel so I know it isn't locked up or anything. Any ideas?

Car is 1982 GT. Motor is a 306 with AFR 185 heads. Transmission is a C4.

Thanks for the help.

Either your starter teeth are fucked or worse, Your flywheel is toast or you might be lucky & it needs to be shimmed up to start
    GOD BLESS TEXAS
    August Landscaping
    214-779-7278
    Seb's high class.
    He'll mow your grass.
    He'll kick your ass.
    And while his kidney stones pass,
    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Couldn't it just be that the starter gear isn't popping out toward the flywheel??????
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Starter bendix took a shit. Get a new starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
          Yea that
          1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Thanks guys. I looked at the flexplate, looks okay (no busted teeth) from where I can see . Both my mini starter and the Napa rebuilt I used for a month before buying the mini starter are doing the same thing.

Solenoid is clicking and voltage goes through with starter disconnected. Anyone seen a solenoid go bad and limit the current to the starter?

It was running before I did the heads, and I didn't have the starter out at all. That's the really weird part of all this

Comment

Originally posted by R3_82GT View Post
              Thanks guys. I looked at the flexplate, looks okay (no busted teeth) from where I can see . Both my mini starter and the Napa rebuilt I used for a month before buying the mini starter are doing the same thing.

Solenoid is clicking and voltage goes through with starter disconnected. Anyone seen a solenoid go bad and limit the current to the starter?

It was running before I did the heads, and I didn't have the starter out at all. That's the really weird part of all this
              Chris might be right. It might not be popping out cause of maybe the solenoid
              GOD BLESS TEXAS
              August Landscaping
              214-779-7278
              Seb's high class.
              He'll mow your grass.
              He'll kick your ass.
              And while his kidney stones pass,
              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Is the flex plate installed correctly? Are you sure it's not flipped causing the teeth to be to far away from the starter?

*Disclaimer*...I know jack shit about c-4's

Comment

If you're worried about the solenoid not being up to snuff, just use a screwdriver across the big terminals and see what happens. Worth a shot. Something's up though, Two starters and two battery's (assuming they are both charged).

Comment

Good point on the screwdriver. I tried my remoter starter to go from power on the solenoid to the one wire and it's doing the same thing. I don't think the flywheel can be on backwards, the 50 oz weight is on the side closest to the block. I did replace the flywheel with SFI one a couple of years back when I had Broader Performance go through the C4.

Comment

Good point on the screwdriver. I tried my remoter starter to go from power on the solenoid to the one wire and it's doing the same thing. I don't think the flywheel can be on backwards, the 50 oz weight is on the side closest to the block. I did replace the flywheel with SFI one a couple of years back when I had Broader Performance go through the C4.
                      Sounds like a starter to me then.

Comment

hit that bish with a hammer and see if it gets the solenoid unlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                          X2
                          04 GT
                          91 LX

Comment

i have a nice 6 month old one $50 lmk
                            One day at a time.

Comment

I had one do the same thing. I took the starter off and look at the fly wheel, looked fine. put a new starter on, did the same thing. I put the car in first gear and rocked it back and forth ( to turn the motor over, to move the flywheel). the teeth on the fly wheel wont be completely gone. just a little bit of the teeth will be gone. if you take the fly wheel off you will be able to tell. what I would is rock it back and worth then try to see if it is the flywheel. if it turns over then stops, flywheel. if not starter.

Comment

Working...
                              X