Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11+ 5.0's that have installed boss 302 intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11+ 5.0's that have installed boss 302 intake?

So my coyote swap is coming along and I was test fitting the Boss 302 intake and noticed that the sensor (Vacuum?) on top of the throttle body on the stock intake with two 8mm headed bolts has no place to bolt onto the 302 intake? or is this something that you just plumb into a vacuum source. guessing this is a map sensor.

What did you guys do with this sensor?

Gracias.

Its the evap purge solenoid. I typically zip tie it to one of the bolt holes right above the water pump in the valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      Its the evap purge solenoid. I typically zip tie it to one of the bolt holes right above the water pump in the valley.
      yeah, I won't be needing that!

Comment

How much $$$ do you have in the swap ?? What are you using for the donor -crate motor, truck motor, mustang ?

Comment

Im not adding up receipts so i don get frustrated. Got a low mileage 11 takeout for 4500. The little stuff is killing me as i started from a bare tub/roller. Probably north of $12k now and i already had k member and some fuel system stuff. Still buttoning things up and have to tune but hope to bave it running by end of the month.

Comment

Also make sure you have a safe tune, the 11 5.0s are notorious for the #8 cylinder issue.....pulling to 7400-7500 is risky...

Comment

Home complete was the motor for $4500?

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                Home complete was the motor for $4500?
                missing engine wiring harness $210 at dealer, and coils, $304 at Tousley Ford.

It had alternator, intake, TB and only 7500 miles from a guy that took immaculate care of his car. He got a boss motor to drop in and needed the coils and engine harness.

I looked at truck motors and they would require cams for what I wanted to do and DJ had a great deal on some zero mile truck motors, but I had to buy cams right out of the gate. I had decided to stick with the factory intake at first and get away with the ford tune but heard some horror stories about the driveability and I don't know who thinks that you can install that HUGE airbox on an SN95. Not going to happen and I don't even have the core support in the stock location! Decided to put the Boss intake on it and do the tune one time with the custom ram air intake I am going to build.

As for the #8 failure, I have found that data logs have told people that after prolonged full throttle applications, it goes lean, detonates and blows up. That cylinder is at the end of the fuel rail, has water trapped in the back of the head like the original 4V mod motors and people are probably running with bare minimum fuel pumps/supply. I have worked all these problems and installed cooling mods to move water and have a HUGE fuel pump with -8 line all the way to the supply on the rail.

That being said, there is a 302S car running AI in this region going to 8250 rpm pretty regular and a nearly stock 2012 pulling 7500 in Time Trials that has yet to have an issue.

I plan on using JMS for a base tune as they have tuned a few of the controls pack cars and figured out the stalling issue without hacking into the harness/ECU wiring to put in a VSS.

The project overall has been a snowball of epic proportions considering I am starting from a bare tub essentially. the only wiring left in the car was the battery wiring and FR500 ABS wiring. The rest of EVERYTHING is from scratch. Hopefully I am taking the right approach and it lasts like my last motor!

Comment

What transmission are you using?

It is good to know there are now multiple solutions to the idle issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                    What transmission are you using?

It is good to know there are now multiple solutions to the idle issue.
                    right now, I am using the 03/04 cobra T56, flywheel, light weight clutch, driveshaft and everything from my previous 2V setup.

There are some concerns about high rpm shifting but we will see how it goes. If this setup starts having heat issues or shifting issues like our Camaro, I may end up with a used jerico. Since I can spin the motor another 1k rpm higher than before, I don't need a 5th/6th gear and could get rid of nearly 60lbs instantly.

Comment

That's pretty cool, Matt. Any progress pics of the car?

Comment

Still working on that thing huh? I got the engine and trans bolted together to go back in my car, but no time at home to even get it set back in. Good luck on the rest of the swap, glad I let you be the guinea pig instead of me and my street car lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
                          Still working on that thing huh? I got the engine and trans bolted together to go back in my car, but no time at home to even get it set back in. Good luck on the rest of the swap, glad I let you be the guinea pig instead of me and my street car lol.
                          dude...you have no idea. every little thing is a PITA. Today for instance, I was installing the engine wiring harness, but I had already installed the MMR cooling mod parts. Well, you can't plug/unplug the timing pickup plug without cutting the plug up to the point where it barely plugs in.

other issues as of late....power steering braketry is on back order...ugh.

I guess I am slow overall but my bet is I am just being anal about every little detail to be CERTAIN I am not screwing it with it at the track later. EVERYTHING has to be ready for the abuse of road racing and every wire is triple checked, secured and checked again. Same thing on the fuel system.

I hate chasing problems after the fact so I am doing everything to the point where I hope to never worry about it.

I will say this....this swap is not for your average shade tree garage mechanic. It's a friggin' snowball and you will get nickel and dimed with small parts constantly. Throw into the fact that practically everything JUST BARELY FITS or has a specific sequence to install/replace...not to mention you will have to pull the motor to do most basic maintenance....and you can see my frustration. The magazines are LYING when they say you can do it in a weekend. BULL-SHIT!!!!

Can't wait to see what happens when you hit that 2V with what we talked about! should rip the tires off!

Comment

Me and the girls are taking the Camaro on the first few days of the Power Tour and then I'll have a couple of extra days to at least get the drivetrain back in the car. Then it's on the car hauler and back to El Paso we go and hopefully I'll have the time and money to finish it back up.

Comment

Not sure if you've seen this, but it might offer advice for some of the pitfalls you've already experienced.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X