Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever use pro comp aluminum heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever use pro comp aluminum heads?

These are much cheaper than other aluminum heads. I'm sure it's a case of "you get what you pay for", but does anyone have any actual experiences with the brand? Good or bad?
    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

I bought some $50 procomp mls gaskets and they lasted about 2 weeks.....
    Originally posted by soap
    i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

I was at a machine shop last week that had a set of BBC Procomps that came in. One valve seat had dropped, and the resulting carnage took out both heads, ten valves, all eight pistons, all eight rods, and the block.

Of course that can happen with any head. But it seems the knock off chinese parts have it happen a little more often. I think I'd spend the extra $$ and get a quality set of American made heads.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I am running the 210 cc heads on my 347. Got them bare and assembled them myself with parts I choose. My car made almost 450 rwhp with the larger cam and 10:1 cr. They are ok but they do have draw backs. I had to replace the guides once due to them wearing out. Thus far thought no issues after that.

Comment

I have the 210 heads as well. Also have the pc mls head gaskets. Both are working great for me.
          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

oh I am not running the pc headgaskets, i use the 1011-1 felpro gaskets with 0 failures or problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
              I have the 210 heads as well. Also have the pc mls head gaskets. Both are working great for me.
              Were your heads built by procomp or did you add your own parts?

I've got a set of world products windsor jrs to put on but they're iron and I don't know if it'll be a decent enough upgrade over my GT40ps.
              Last edited by Wish4svts; 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                I am running the 210 cc heads on my 347. Got them bare and assembled them myself with parts I choose. My car made almost 450 rwhp with the larger cam and 10:1 cr. They are ok but they do have draw backs. I had to replace the guides once due to them wearing out. Thus far thought no issues after that.
                Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post

I've got a set of world products windsor jrs to put on but they're iron and I don't know if it'll be a decent enough upgrade over my GT40ps.
                See above

What size engine and what are your goals?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                  See above

What size engine and what are your goals?
                  I saw your post already... I quoted bluecoupe to see if he did the same as you did.

It's a rebuilt 302 with an unknown cam. Windsor jr heads w/ 1.7rrs, systemax intake, 70mm Tb, 24 lb inj., exhaust, and a 75 shot. Is there a way to check lift on the cam without removing it? Id like to see mid 7s but its just a daily so I'm not really chasing a number.

Edit: that's what the combo will be... Right now it's gt40ps with PP typhoon intake, no nitrous.

Comment

As far as I know, they are complete heads from pro comp. All I added was the valve train. I bought them as used never installed. They were brand new, but box was opened. And I like the pc MLS head gaskets. Engine is seeing 10lb of boost.
                    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I saw your post already... I quoted bluecoupe to see if he did the same as you did.

It's a rebuilt 302 with an unknown cam. Windsor jr heads w/ 1.7rrs, systemax intake, 70mm Tb, 24 lb inj., exhaust, and a 75 shot. Is there a way to check lift on the cam without removing it? Id like to see mid 7s but its just a daily so I'm not really chasing a number.

Edit: that's what the combo will be... Right now it's gt40ps with PP typhoon intake, no nitrous.
                      With a dial indicator and magnetic base you can check lobe lift then just multiply by rocker ratio to figure valve lift. With that setup, I would probably go with the windsor jr over a pro comp. An afr or trick flow will be a much better choice but if you want to keep budget in mind, the jr should do fine. Depending on weight of the car mid 7's should be easily done. With just h/c/i in my old fox, I ran 7.7's consistantly n/a.

Comment

I have some cnc'd Procomps on my 393. I too bought them bare with the port work done. I had a reputable shop set them up with a good valve job, spring and retainers. I also had them flowed and they ran right at 306 on the intake side @ .600.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                          I have some cnc'd Procomps on my 393. I too bought them bare with the port work done. I had a reputable shop set them up with a good valve job, spring and retainers. I also had them flowed and they ran right at 306 on the intake side @ .600.
                          Pretty much same thing here. I bought name brand hardware, valves, retainers and had a good shop do the machine work. They're about 6-7 years old, have somewhere near 100 passes on them and it makes about 1300HP.

..and from what I recall, they are austrailian made.

Comment

yellowbullet::searchrocomp
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                              Pretty much same thing here. I bought name brand hardware, valves, retainers and had a good shop do the machine work. They're about 6-7 years old, have somewhere near 100 passes on them and it makes about 1300HP.

..and from what I recall, they are austrailian made.
                              Actually they are chinese made for Pro Comp who is based in Australia. They have a very bad rap and for what I have in these heads, I probably could have made as much or more power with some TFS FAS heads. When I got them, they were fresh on the market and the port work was done by Avenger cylinder heads in California. I had about $600 in the bare castings with port work.

Comment

Working...
                              X