Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs?

The car is running these right now

And it looks nice as it sits and handle pretty well to boot but when I hit a small bump, damn! It hits hard! Is this the way all lowering spring are? I've been told a progressive spring would be better but I called upr and they said this WAS a progressive spring! I was considering swapping them out with these

But not if they ride the same. So when you lower your vehicle, do you always sacrifice ride quality? I never really cared to lower a car, this particular vehicle just happen to come that way....
    .....bro....

in order to get the most benefit out of the springs you need to have the shocks/struts to match them. And by match I mean travel,compression rate and rebound. If you just throw springs on some old worn out struts it's going to ride horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
      in order to get the most benefit out of the springs you need to have the shocks/struts to match them. And by match I mean travel,compression rate and rebound. If you just throw springs on some old worn out struts it's going to ride horrible.
      I was wondering that if I changed the shocks and struts, if it would make a difference. But then what strut do i use?
      .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
        I was wondering that if I changed the shocks and struts, if it would make a difference. But then what strut do i use?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Have you checked the distance to the bumpstops?
          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

The tokico blues that Baron recommended are an excellent choice. I had them on my Cobra and they rode fine.

Comment

The tokico blues that Baron recommended are an excellent choice. I had them on my Cobra and they rode fine.
              I have those on my 93 cobra

Comment

Coil overs and never look back.

Comment

Or even a slightly cheaper route... http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-And-Strut-Kit
                  1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                    Have you checked the distance to the bumpstops?
                    Bump......stops.....? Where they supposed to be? I've never dealt with suspension when it came to any mustang I've ever owner. Usually by the time I start working on suspension, I get rid of it.
                    .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                      Or even a slightly cheaper route... http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-And-Strut-Kit
                      I have those on my car now and they suck. Don't get KYB's.

Comment

I have those on my car now and they suck. Don't get KYB's.
                        They are what would be considered "factory replacement" and athough they are decent quality and may last longer than an autozone special, they wont help with the increased spring rate of the lowing springs.

We put a pair of the Tokico blue's on the rear of the fairmont, it made a huge difference. They are a bit stiffer than OE, noticable enough when you depress them outside the car. We will put a pair on the front when we dive into suspension work up there, too.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                          Bump......stops.....? Where they supposed to be? I've never dealt with suspension when it came to any mustang I've ever owner. Usually by the time I start working on suspension, I get rid of it.
                          Bumpstops are in line of the moving suspension components and prevent over compressing of the shock/struts, they also prevent frame contact. If you don't shorten or remove them after lowering the vehicle, the range of motion is diminished and causes the shorter travel to create contact with said bumpstops. If you ever saw a lowered ricer or truck bouncing down the road, they're hitting their bumpstops.

But after further review, a lot of Mustang guys say leave them although you could cut them down. I cut the ones on my Mustang and removed the ones on my truck and Blazer.
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Springs....a horrid way to change ride height.
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

I wish you guys could've heard the conversation about springs and ride height racrguy and I heard in the Koffee Kup in Hico a couple of weeks ago.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X