over heating prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over heating prob

my 93 nissan sentra has been over heating lately, i go to turn on the defrost inside and it blows out cold air, next thing i know it starts blowing hot air and the temp needle goes back down, 2 seconds later starts blowing cold air and the temp needle goes back up

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Start by burping and checking your coolant level.

Comment

well i thought my coolant level was fine because i saw the resivour* with water in it but when i opened the radiator up i started filling it up and it kept taking in the water, so it must have been low, so i drive it to the gym without turning on the heater or anything and it did not over heat and the needle stayed in the middle, on the way back i noticed the needle trying to go up so i turned on the heater/defrost and it blew out nothing but cold air, i didnt drive it far enough to actually have the needle go all the way up but it was a little higher than normal

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
        well i thought my coolant level was fine because i saw the resivour* with water in it but when i opened the radiator up i started filling it up and it kept taking in the water, so it must have been low, so i drive it to the gym without turning on the heater or anything and it did not over heat and the needle stayed in the middle, on the way back i noticed the needle trying to go up so i turned on the heater/defrost and it blew out nothing but cold air, i didnt drive it far enough to actually have the needle go all the way up but it was a little higher than normal
        Did the coolant level go down? BTW, you are mixing coolant with the water, right?

I'm no mechanic but it sounds to me like water isn't circulating properly. So you may need to flush the system. Possibly failing water pump? If you are losing coolant you need to figure out where, does your oil look good? Any drips? You may have been low from overheating (and overflowing). How about the radiator cap, may need to be replaced. If it's not keeping a seal it could allow the car to overheat more easily. Checked the thermostat? Don't put straight water in your system, make sure you're mixing it with antifreeze per manufacturers recommendation. Straight water will boil more quickly and can cause other issues.

Comment

oil should be good as i just changed it, going to try everything else right now and report back when done... we are also thinking it might be the waterpump or a clog in the radiator

Comment

Working...
          X