Need help with 2007 Ford 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 2007 Ford 500

Any ford techs here able/willing to tell me where all the major grounds are for this heap? I need to start tracking down some electrical issue with the car.

Intermittently, but very often, all the dash lights and gauges just go bat shit crazy while your driving. I've already replaced the battery and an alternator test come back good. I've found some info online that says it could be the instrument cluster, alternator, loose ground, or voltage regulator which some online posts suggest the voltage regulator for that car is in the ECM, but I can't find a solid answer to verify that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The wife took a video of the craziness, if I can find somewhere to host it, I'll post a link.

**edit**

Actually, this is pretty much the same thing except my car does it more often, it causes the AC and radio to turn off and also chimes every time it happens. I also forgot to mention that I also sent the cluster to be repaired by some guy in OK(found him on ebay).
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErKhJV8ED8[/ame]
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM.

I just went through tons of similar crap with my electrical system (2007 Roush 427R).

When all was said and done the wire harness connector that plugs into the alternator had 1 broke wire and another that was almost broke as well (out of only 3 wires), I just couldn't see the breaks b/c of the tape/wrap.

With it started jiggle the harness connector and see if that does anything with your voltage or lights in the vehicle.

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out this week....fingers crossed

Comment

I thought I had the same problem as BJ because when I jiggled the wire going to the alternator the volts would go up. So I got it replaced but the problem remained after that and it turned out it was where the wire plugs into the alternator, not the wire itself. Got the new alternator in and all is fine now.
        2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Comment

Well, the car couldn't wait till this weekend Wife went to a funeral 50 miles away and when she got there she said something smelled like feet when she got out. She had her BIL and his mechanic friend look at it and the battery (about 6mo old from a Ford dealer) was spewing battery acid all over. The friend called his mechanic friend that works for Ford they going to check it out this morning. They're initial diag is the alternator as well...I should know more later today.

I was hoping to save a little bit by doing it myself but oh well....it might be worth it considering where the alternator is and what I've read about the time it takes to remove it.

Comment

Working...
          X