new motor is in: does this sound right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CWO View Post
    Pulled passenger side valve cover and it looks like oil is making it up there. Haven't pulled the timing cover yet, but there is a slight but of play in the upper part of the chain where I can grip it with the valve cover off. Video to follow.
    Stupid question, but were the pins in the tensioners pulled after they were installed??
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Yeah, the new style tensioners have clips now, but the clips were removed and they also don't ratchet anymore. Lastly, the cam gear is tight on that side

Comment

click for video

Comment

obviously a tensioner issue. id take the front cover off and figure out whats going on. What oil pump and oil pump gears does it have. It is possible to break a gear if not installed correctly. and just because theres oil up top doesnt mean its making pressure
          Originally posted by soap
          i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Cover is coming off tonight, I was going to do it last night but didn't have a balancer puller. Brand new Ford oil pump, reused the old pick-up.

Comment

Definitely shouldn't have play on that side of the chain...

Did you pull the driver side valve cover off, as well? If so does it have the same issue?
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              dont downshift!!

Comment

No, just the passenger side. I'll pull the timing cover tonight and see what's up. I'm going to stop at Oreilly's and pick up a couple of the older style tensioners, they have them in stock. I'll grab a balancer puller too.

Comment

I just found out that the pivoting arms are different for each side. I have a 50/50 chance at those being correct as I thought they were the same. lol

Comment

Got the front cover off and confirmed that the pivot arms are on the wrong side. Also replaced both plastic tensioners with the older version. One of the plastic ones I took off was fully extended and seemed to be locked in place. The other was extended but had some spring to it. I have to wait until tomorrow night to put it back together. Hardest part of the whole ordeal is one damn bolt on the stupid power steering pump.

Comment

Shit man, I hope that's all it is! Did you get an oil pressure gauge for it?

Comment

Got the front cover off and confirmed that the pivot arms are on the wrong side. Also replaced both plastic tensioners with the older version. One of the plastic ones I took off was fully extended and seemed to be locked in place. The other was extended but had some spring to it. I have to wait until tomorrow night to put it back together. Hardest part of the whole ordeal is one damn bolt on the stupid power steering pump.
                        I hate that bolt
                        Originally posted by soap
                        i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                          Shit man, I hope that's all it is! Did you get an oil pressure gauge for it?
                          Me too. I didn't get an oil pressure gauge.

This article was helpful.

Comment

Well, after putting it all back together and changing out the break-in oil, it sounds a ton better. However, I could only run it a few seconds before the power steering fluid drained completely out because of that goddamned bolt on the pump. During re-assembly I thought I'd be smart and tighten up the other three bolts first and that way the last one would be easier to turn with my fingers having the weight being off of it. Miscalculation on the length of the bolt caused it to rip into the side of the metal portion of the hose. SO awesome. I found a new hose locally, so I'll be doing that tonight after I go pick it up.

Fuck this is taking forever. I'll be picking up an oil filter wrench of some sort as well, removing the last one took an hour. I know, a fucking hour to remove the oil filter? Yep.

I still don't have an oil pressure gauge, frankly because I have no idea what I'm looking for or how to hook it up.

Comment

Fuck this is taking forever. I'll be picking up an oil filter wrench of some sort as well, removing the last one took an hour. I know, a fucking hour to remove the oil filter? Yep.

I still don't have an oil pressure gauge, frankly because I have no idea what I'm looking for or how to hook it up.
                              Use a long flat-head screwdriver and a hammer next time. Punch the screwdriver into the side of the filter filter all the way to the handle and turn it that way, using the leverage created by the screwdriver now impaling the filter. It can be a bit messy sometimes but it works quite well on mod motors with those slippery, scrawny little 820 filters. BTW, lube the O-ring on the filter with a bit of oil prior to installing it, and tighten it only as tight as you can with hand grip. There's no need to crank it down with the filter wrench.

Buy an Autometer electronic oil pressure gauge with the sending unit included. There is a tap in the passenger side head on the 4.6L mod motors just above the exhaust manifold. It'll be an allen-headed plug that you can turn out. The Autometer kit comes with the correct adapter for that thread pitch.
                              dont downshift!!

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                                Use a long flat-head screwdriver and a hammer next time. Punch the screwdriver into the side of the filter filter all the way to the handle and turn it that way, using the leverage created by the screwdriver now impaling the filter. It can be a bit messy sometimes but it works quite well on mod motors with those slippery, scrawny little 820 filters. BTW, lube the O-ring on the filter with a bit of oil prior to installing it, and tighten it only as tight as you can with hand grip. There's no need to crank it down with the filter wrench.

Buy an Autometer electronic oil pressure gauge with the sending unit included. There is a tap in the passenger side head on the 4.6L mod motors just above the exhaust manifold. It'll be an allen-headed plug that you can turn out. The Autometer kit comes with the correct adapter for that thread pitch.
                                I'm just a tiny bit insulted that you don't think I thought of trying the screwdriver trick. I'll get pics up eventually, but needless to say that didn't work..... neither of the 4 times I tried on different parts of the filter. I ultimately had to cut the filter at the base and use a pair of vise grips attached to the base and pry against those with a long screwdriver little by little. It was ridiculous. The filter barely resembles a filter anymore.

So are you expecting me to run that gauge all the time or just to check it? I mean am I going to have to by a gauge pod and whatever else too?

Comment

Working...
                                X