Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOT regs for personal truck/trailer links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron View Post
    we're talking about buying it. We dont NEED it, but we could make use of it.
    do you live on 5 acres? BTW, if you want a samurai, there are 100's of them in Alabama. I drove through there last week and they were on every little farm it seemed like. Most with 35's or on jackstands as projects

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
      So the sticker on the door of my truck says GVWR of 9000lbs. However it also says that the front axle is rated at 4750# and the rear is 6010#. What would the DPS a-hole say the rating is when combined with the trailer at 16000# for GCWR?

I'm about ready to just say fugg all this and stick with our little trailer and then tow the second car with a second truck! LOL!
      Not a light truck made has a stamped GCWR. I really think you're over thinking this.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
        do you live on 5 acres? BTW, if you want a samurai, there are 100's of them in Alabama. I drove through there last week and they were on every little farm it seemed like. Most with 35's or on jackstands as projects
        I have an acre that my shop is on, and one of my friends/teamates lives on ten acres, so I have plenty of storage area.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          Not a light truck made has a stamped GCWR. I really think you're over thinking this.
          Maybe, but I have been hearing horror stories of fellow racers getting pulled over and paying HUGE fines when the DPS officer starts getting "technical" and trying to prove a case that a rig is a commercial rig because there is a race car in it.

I don't want to go drop $30k on a trailer only to be a target for some quota and big fines only to get pissed off and sell it within a year. Or if an accident did occur and the insurance company tells us to pound salt because of overloading or what have you.

For instance, a buddy of ours was going through Kansas last year and got pulled over. Not speeding or anything. I'm not sure if he had stickers on the truck/trailer or what but he had to pay around a $1500 fine as well as an impound/tow fee to get his entire rig back after having to fly to Colorado and bring truck and buddy back. He also had to return with a buddy and a "proper" truck in the eyes of the Kansas sheriff a-hole before they would let him leave. Suffice to say....stay out of Kansas.

I'm willing to chance it somewhat but just don't want to be an obvious target to be screwed with.

Comment

Here, take a look at this. Found on RV site but good info on states dl requirements such as pulling a trailer etc.. http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Comment

Working...
            X