Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOT regs for personal truck/trailer links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT regs for personal truck/trailer links?

Ok, my brain hurts after spending 20 minutes looking at "DOT regulations" from google. Even looked up the RV'r Guide to staying out of trouble and basically all I got was that the magic number of 26000# combined RATING is where the commercial vehicle BS starts...

So, I have a 3/4 ton truck and want to tow a big trailer. Truck is rated at GVW of 10,600. I am looking at trailers rated at 18k but could have one built with a GVW of 15000 based on axles used. so I am 400# below 26,000. However, I have been told TX DPS and other states are looking at "race car haulers" as commercial vehicles because there is a purse. Well, there isn't a purse for the racing we do...not even a $3 plastic trophy but I imagine attempting to explain that to an a-hole trooper on the side of the road is like trying to teach calculus to a skunk. Apparently they see stickers on the car even inside the trailer and they think contingencies/purse and call you a commercial enterprise even if the trailer and Truck are in your name, not a business.

How do I keep them from giving me any shit? Looking at a 40' gooseneck two car hauler. was looking at a stacker but apparently the windage is more than what is really safe for a medium duty truck.

Thanks if you can point me to a link with cliff's notes. Sean...where you at?

Can't help you much but I do sympathize that keeping up with Yeh regulations is a nightmare and going across state lines can be just as bad.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      Can't help you much but I do sympathize that keeping up with Yeh regulations is a nightmare and going across state lines can be just as bad.
      Well, even if I am towing my "little" 24' trailer and the trooper has a pole up his ass, he can decide to write me a ticket because the car has a Hoosier sticker on it? that is my rub. I think I can get the weight ratings correct for each axle and maybe even the GCWR....but if my racecar has to look like a street car to avoid the "for profit" BS....I'm screwed.

Comment

I would think the guy would have to be a huge asshole to go that route. If you have a regular job and you aren't doing it for any kind of profit (which you aren't) then that ticket would probably be a stretch.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Don't put any decals on the trailer, then it shouldn't be classified as a commercial vehicle.

Also, I've only known people to get a DOT stop if they're in toter homes or semi's. Remember not only can the weight classify you as a commercial vehicle, but if you have air brakes as well, it doesn't matter if it's registered as a motor home or not, you'd better have a CDL.

I drag my race car on an open 28' trailer with stickers all over it, never been given any grief by any countless number of staties I've passed over the years.

Comment

You can build a trailer with tandem 12k axles and tag it for 10k gvwr. Motor homes can have whatever they want for gvwr as long as it is a recreational vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
              You can build a trailer with tandem 12k axles and tag it for 10k gvwr. Motor homes can have whatever they want for gvwr as long as it is a recreational vehicle
              Trailers in Texas are registered via the "weight" and number of the axles, not what the GVWR says.

Comment

Like dblack1 stated, buy the trailer in such a fashion as to not affect resale. Buy it as built then register it for for 15,400 capacity so that you can maintain maximum capacity while staying under CDL regulations. BTW, CDL-A regs start at 26,001# so stay at 26K or below for your GCWR. I personally wouldn't be worried about decals on the car or tailer, just because you have decals doesn't make it commercial. I would however have a "Not for hire" decal made for the trailer.

DOT have really started cracking down over the last couple of years, if this truly was a commercial situation you would be required to have a CDL for a trailer with a GVWR of 10K or more and the power unit haveing a GVWR of 10,001# or more would throw you under commercial regulations and require you to keep a drivers log. Over 26,001# private, or commercial 10,001# GVWR power unit, 10K GVWR trailer would require you to hit the scales and follow DOT guidlines.

In summary keep your GCWR under 26,001#, have some "Not for Hire" decals made up and you'll be fine. If they cited me under these conditions I would contest it in court as the burden of proof is on them to show your not a private individual participating in a pass time.
                Last edited by PeeWeeC5; 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM.
                The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                  Trailers in Texas are registered via the "weight" and number of the axles, not what the GVWR says.
                  What are you trying to say?

You can have a trailer with dual 12k axles and register it for whatever you want under 24K.
                  The Daily

Comment

You try registering a manufactured trailer for less than it's rated GVWR and watch what happens when you get pulled over and checked. The only way I see getting away with something like that is with a home built trailer.

Comment

You try registering a manufactured trailer for less than it's rated GVWR and watch what happens when you get pulled over and checked. The only way I see getting away with something like that is with a home built trailer.
                      I have several times. We have 2 20' Gooseneck trailers built for a 14k GVWR and registered for 9250# I've been through the scales with them and gone through level 3 inspections with no issues. What did I miss on multiple occasions? What "should've" happened?
                      The Daily

Comment

I have a couple options at this point but it looks like I am going to price building a 34' aluminum enclosed with 2ea 7k lb spread axles on a bumper pull frame. Trailer will weigh around 5000# empty, and be rated for 14,000#. With the truck rating at 10,760#, that keeps me under 26,000 rating, I just have to keep the tonque weight down to keep the rear axle under 6010lbs on a scale.

Curb weight info shows the truck at 4208 front, 2850 rear, but that is empty, no fuel, driver, passengers and stuff. with a weight distributing hitch, it may be alright....now I just have to see if we can get both cars and all our stuff in a 34' trailer! LOL! Guess I can put the heavy car in the back and maybe all the tires on a high mounted tire rack above the rear door and keep the tonque weight down....

Problem is that this trailer is MUCHO $$$$$..ugh. 1st world problems right?! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
                          I have several times. We have 2 20' Gooseneck trailers built for a 14k GVWR and registered for 9250# I've been through the scales with them and gone through level 3 inspections with no issues. What did I miss on multiple occasions? What "should've" happened?
                          They must not have checked rated vs registered gvwr then.

Comment

They must not have checked rated vs registered gvwr then.
                            On a lvl 3, really? Are you familiar with DOT?
                            The Daily

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              I have a couple options at this point but it looks like I am going to price building a 34' aluminum enclosed with 2ea 7k lb spread axles on a bumper pull frame. Trailer will weigh around 5000# empty, and be rated for 14,000#. With the truck rating at 10,760#, that keeps me under 26,000 rating, I just have to keep the tonque weight down to keep the rear axle under 6010lbs on a scale.

Curb weight info shows the truck at 4208 front, 2850 rear, but that is empty, no fuel, driver, passengers and stuff. with a weight distributing hitch, it may be alright....now I just have to see if we can get both cars and all our stuff in a 34' trailer! LOL! Guess I can put the heavy car in the back and maybe all the tires on a high mounted tire rack above the rear door and keep the tonque weight down....

Problem is that this trailer is MUCHO $$$$$..ugh. 1st world problems right?! LOL!
                              Why bumper pull? I personally wouldn't want any part of a bumper pull that heavy if I was to get in a hard braking/evasive maneuver situation.
                              The Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X