Steering response.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering response.

The steering repsonse on my car has always been lacking. It's seems to have gotten worse over the past 4 years. There isn't slop in the steering wheel but it does have a little wiggle to it.

I checked the rag joint thinking it may have been an issue, it looks weathered but doesn't give much when the wheels turn.

It has the powersteering rack but with the hoses put in a loop.

Where should I start?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Solid Rack bushings and solid steering shaft

Comment

What does a rack and pinion do when it shits out besides leak?

Tie rods?

Car being lowered 2 inch and not having the bump steer kit cause funky steering?

What I'm trying to achieve is tight quick responding steering. Can this be done with stock parts?

Those steering shafts aren't cheap!

Comment

Go manual..
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Yes it can to a degree. The best bang for the buck is the solid rack bushings. I have seen once where a power rack was used as a manual and it began to drive funny. You can get the bushing in a offset and that will help with if any bump steer you may have. Naturally a bump steer kit is the best way to go but the bushings will help.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
            Go manual..
            I've thought of doing what you've done, by wasn't for sure if that would get me what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
              Yes it can to a degree. The best bang for the buck is the solid rack bushings. I have seen once where a power rack was used as a manual and it began to drive funny.
              My civic was done like this and it steered funny too.

Comment

Shop around like corral typically you can get a good deal on a manual rack

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                  What does a rack and pinion do when it shits out besides leak?

Tie rods?

Car being lowered 2 inch and not having the bump steer kit cause funky steering?

What I'm trying to achieve is tight quick responding steering. Can this be done with stock parts?

Those steering shafts aren't cheap!
                  You can get a nice lower ujoint from ebay, cut off rag joint weld on new u-joint.. done, under 50.
                  Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                  90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

my 1993 cobra had really loose steering Bought a rack from oreilys steers like a brand new car nice and tight

Comment

When was the last time you had an alignment? I know that car has seen a ditch or 3.

Bad rack can cause shitty steering issues.

If you lowered it 2", then yeah, you might want to do bump.

As said, solid bushings and get rid of the rag joint and go solid.

Also, what about the rest of the front suspension? How good of condition is it in?

Comment

when you get all the 20yr old parts back to new condition, pull the spring in the pressure fitting on the P/S pump and cut a coil and a half off. Steering will be a lot better afterwards. Pump will make less pressure. Makes it more positive.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                        X