blowthru fuel pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowthru fuel pump ?

So I am almost done with the blowthru setup on the dumpy capri and I am not sure what fuel pump I want to use . The motor is just a h/c 302 with a little v-1 so my fuel demands are very minimal . I have an aeromotive boost referenced bypass regulator and a blowthru preped king demon carb . I have a few different pumps already but I think I may need a little bigger one . The pump I have is a 140 gph at 14 psi free flow . It might make 6lbs if I'm lucky so I should only need about 14 psi in theory . I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on a huge pump that will suport 1k hp when I will most likley not see 400 . Summit has a holley pump thats a 150 gph at 16 psi for about $200 . Should I try the 140 and see what happens or should I get the 150 or something else . Remember I am a cheap ass . I have a wideband so I will be able to see whats going on but I am not sure if these pumps will keep up . BTW it has already idled on the old fuel system and sounds pretty cool . Any imput guys ?
    Big Rooster Racing

Find a used a1000. those pumps you have will most likley not support even 300hp on a blow through setup. A used a1000 is easy to find and pretty cheap. Dont let a cheap pump ruin your motor. Heck u could even use a wahlbro 255 in line pump if u setup the return side right, and theyre pretty reasonable too.

Comment

sat bye mpg

Comment

I have been looking at the a1000 . Thats kinda the same opinion I had . Steve , WTF does that mean ?
        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

i know i was wondering the same thing if you plan on runing 112 or what ever the octane you said was at 8 bucks a gallon who gives a fuck about mpg

Comment

I don't give a crap about mpg . I WANT POWER !
            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

cant wait to see that thing run i wanna ride . Ill come help out anytime if you need some extra hands.

Comment

You'll get a ride but remember this is just a test to see if If I like the combo and to learn how to tune it . If I like it we will pull it and transplant it into the cobra .
                Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad91 View Post
                  Find a used a1000. those pumps you have will most likley not support even 300hp on a blow through setup. A used a1000 is easy to find and pretty cheap. Dont let a cheap pump ruin your motor. Heck u could even use a wahlbro 255 in line pump if u setup the return side right, and theyre pretty reasonable too.
                  I found one on the coral for 200 with a filter . I think thats a pretty good price .
                  Big Rooster Racing

Comment

I a have a new Holley HP 150 Geroter pump...I was thinking of using for awhile with my setup. I may be a balla and buy a Magnafuel Prostar 500.
                    Last edited by Magnimike1; 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                      sat bye mpg
                      Why's that, MY car got better mileage WITH the blowthrough setup.

Jim - The pump has to be able to support the elevated pressure levels, not so much the power levels. If you have a pump that supports 1000HP, but only does it at 9psi - it most likely won't work.

The EFI pumps are good B/T candidates because of their ability to run at elevated pressures. Your pump has to put out base fuel pressure + boost pressure and then some. For example, 7-8 psi base, + max boost of 20 psi = as much as 28psi fuel pressure from the pump. If the pump will not support ~30psi, it's not going to work. It will blow the fuel back INTO the bowls at 2/3 of the way through the RPM range once the boost is fully saturated.

Technically, a BT car still only operates at 7psi (or whatever the base is set at). The boost coming in the top of the carb cancels out the elevated fuel pressure, minus the base - meaning, you still only have 8 psi differential across the boosters. Which brings me to my next statement.... good luck with THAT carb, buy lots of headgaskets... may the force be with you.

Comment

FWIW, I have a super-top secret power valve that will make your life a lot easier. In fact, I have a NICE blow through carb WITH that PV in it.. that's for sale.

Comment

Is it the one of the blue car ? The blower I am running is only a v1 a trim so I was not exspecting to see alot of boost . Do you think the a1000 is a good choice ? I have the little universal Aeromotive bypass regulator and I am not sure if that is to much pump for it .
                          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                            Is it the one of the blue car ? The blower I am running is only a v1 a trim so I was not exspecting to see alot of boost . Do you think the a1000 is a good choice ? I have the little universal Aeromotive bypass regulator and I am not sure if that is to much pump for it .
                            Yeah, it is. It's not what most people saw with the experimental solenoids on the sides. There's nothing on the carb that QFT didn't put on them from the factory minus the powervalve itself. Yes, the A1000 is an excellent choice - we've made 540RWHP with MY car and ~1100 with Tony's car and ran 5.35@135 with it. A very universal and solid choice I think.. That regulator... I don't think so.. I'd be looking for the 13202 and a -10feed/return line setup....(don't get too small of a return, that EFI pump will easily creep the pressure)

Comment

Ok , PM me a price on the carb .
                              Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X