Damn clutch cable!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn clutch cable!!

So, I'm driving home from work in Irving @ about 6pm on 183 last night and my clutch cable snapped again. It was bumper to bumper and I knew I would get into a wreck if I tried to drive in that crap, so I left her at a gas station. Got a ride home with the wife and crashed for a while. Woke up at 3 and just got back with no traffic. What a pain in the ass.

This thing just broke about a year and a half ago at Brooks' house and I replaced it with a new OE Ford cable. Both times it broke right at the little button on the quadrant end.

Any idea as to what would cause it to break?
    -Dustin
    '94 Cobra
    Coast High 408, AFR 205s,
    1-3/4" BBK LTs, Tremec TKO,
    ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
    10" lift, 38s

being too tight? maybe it needs a lil slack in the adjustment

Comment

Do you have a real heavy pressure plate (hard to push) ?
      Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
        Do you have a real heavy pressure plate (hard to push) ?
        I've snapped OE Ford cables on two different Mustangs. Every time it broke at the quadrant end and was due to the stock throw out bearing retainer getting pitted from the TO bearing. Upgrade to a steel TO bearing retainer if you haven't already and replace the bearing if it's old.

What quadrant are you using? Make sure it's not rough in the valley the cable goes in. If it is then smooth it out.

Marcus
        '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

The cable is adjusted properly. Just a little slack before the clutch starts to engage.

It is not a super heavy pressure plate, just a Spec stage 3. Lil harder to push than a Motorsport HD (as I remember).

Marcus, it is a UPR quad. I'll check and make sure it is not too rough. I don't get what you are saying about the TOB retainer. I replaced it when I put the clutch in...The bearing that goes on the input shaft and lodges in the clutch fork, right?
          -Dustin
          '94 Cobra
          ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
          10" lift, 38s

Comment

Ah, I see what you are talking about now. Like this? The part that bolts to the tranny?
            -Dustin
            '94 Cobra
            ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
            10" lift, 38s

Comment

Your Tremec should already have a steel retainer on it, I doubt that's the problem.

If it's breaking the cables in the same place, I suspect it's the quadrant. the angle that the cable hits the quadrant is too great and it's bending that cable too far every time you push the cable in - and therefor breaks it at the point in which that end piece is crimped on.

I'd look into trying a different quadrant. I have one if you want to try it.

Post up a good macro pic of the broken cable end, or bring it by the (new) house.

Comment

I checked the quadrant and it did have somewhat of a sharp edge on the hook. I smoothed it out. I'm going to try the hook that is one deeper this time.

Here is a pic of the cable.

-Dustin
                '94 Cobra
                ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
                10" lift, 38s

Comment

That's what I figured we'd see. If you'll look, they've even put a radius in the opening of the crimped on piece to help keep it from doing that.j

If you smooth out that part where the cable bends over the edge of the quadrant, your problems may go away.

Comment

Originally posted by SVTCobra50 View Post
                    I checked the quadrant and it did have somewhat of a sharp edge on the hook. I smoothed it out.
                    My 90 broke cables at the quadrant every 6 months for about 4 years. They all broke in the same place, and it was always at the edge of the quadrant. I took a dremel and smoothed the edge out like that and it's been over a year so far with no problems.
                    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
                    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
                    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Hope this one lasts.
                      -Dustin
                      '94 Cobra
                      ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
                      10" lift, 38s

Comment

Originally posted by SVTCobra50 View Post
                        Thanks for the input guys. Hope this one lasts.
                        It won't, you're driving it. Should've taken it to Moore's Automotive!

Comment

That place is awesome!
                          -Dustin
                          '94 Cobra
                          ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
                          10" lift, 38s

Comment

Working...
                          X