Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat sliders: what's the best way to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    He's trying to relate to you so you'll give him his posts back, Don. Don't fall for that amateur shit!
    No I'm being serious. I bought some summit racing seats a few years back and tried to modify the stock sliders, they don't slide at all now.

I'll call Obama and he'll give me my posts back, plus yours.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
      Damn you Don, I didn't even notice until now.
      Fuck with the bull, get the cock...
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Here Don, this team that runs a vw bug had the same issue, and solved it in an awesome way.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The fixed Kirkey is the safest if you decide to keep it. However, the slider idea will only work with an FIA seat that is wide enough for all your drivers. The seat will be SERIOUSLY expensive and it will move around some for your bigger drivers as the sliders will always have slack in them.

If you are dead set on the kirkey, thick foam inserts for the shorter drivers covered in some sort of fabric to make them last is the only way to do it right. Even then, you are going to be concerned with the lack of side support for the shortest driver as the foam stack will get to be 4" to 6" thick and you sit so far up and forward that the lateral support disappears and is unsafe.

The FIA seat is the best way to go with a good slider to go with it. You are going to be looking at $1000 depending on which seat you buy along with mounting brackets and sliders.

If you do go the FIA route....be sure to put your hands on the seat and verify the build date on the FIA sticker....they are only good for 5 years. There is a new FIA seat standard good for 10 years but they JUST hit the streets.

BTW....my fat ass won't have to fit in that seat....too much stuff going on lately to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
            The fixed Kirkey is the safest if you decide to keep it. However, the slider idea will only work with an FIA seat that is wide enough for all your drivers. The seat will be SERIOUSLY expensive and it will move around some for your bigger drivers as the sliders will always have slack in them.

If you are dead set on the kirkey, thick foam inserts for the shorter drivers covered in some sort of fabric to make them last is the only way to do it right. Even then, you are going to be concerned with the lack of side support for the shortest driver as the foam stack will get to be 4" to 6" thick and you sit so far up and forward that the lateral support disappears and is unsafe.

The FIA seat is the best way to go with a good slider to go with it. You are going to be looking at $1000 depending on which seat you buy along with mounting brackets and sliders.

If you do go the FIA route....be sure to put your hands on the seat and verify the build date on the FIA sticker....they are only good for 5 years. There is a new FIA seat standard good for 10 years but they JUST hit the streets.

BTW....my fat ass won't have to fit in that seat....too much stuff going on lately to commit.
            The good thing about our series is that the FIA rating being expired on the seat is a non issue, and a used one will be substantially cheaper.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              The good thing about our series is that the FIA rating being expired on the seat is a non issue, and a used one will be substantially cheaper.
              Check that rule again....Lemons has required fixed braces behind FIA seats that are expired which kills the slider idea....I've welded in some at the track for folks after failing tech. Unsure of what chump says now days but that rule book keeps getting thicker each year.

Only thing that hasn't been checked that I know of is fuel cell dates. All other equipment follows NASA guidelines for expiration of ratings. This includes window nets, belts, seats and HANS devices. Just looking out for you guys before you spend money.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                Check that rule again....Lemons has required fixed braces behind FIA seats that are expired which kills the slider idea....I've welded in some at the track for folks after failing tech. Unsure of what chump says now days but that rule book keeps getting thicker each year.

Only thing that hasn't been checked that I know of is fuel cell dates. All other equipment follows NASA guidelines for expiration of ratings. This includes window nets, belts, seats and HANS devices. Just looking out for you guys before you spend money.
                •3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece, purpose-built racing seats with properly located, factory-provided shoulder-harness holes are mandatory. Molded plastic seats of ABS or similar material are not allowed. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be restrained against rearward failure.

•3.2.1: Seats with Seatback Braces. Permanently attached seatback braces are very strongly recommended, but must always be appropriate to the seat type. A mismatched seat/seatback-brace combination can damage the seat or seriously injure the driver--confer with the seat's seller to choose the correct brace. The plate where the seatback brace meets the seatback must be properly located to encompass the seat's main structural elements, and large enough not to push through the seat in a crash or otherwise concentrate loads on the driver. (The plates sold with many commercial braces are too small to meet this requirement--often, you'll need to add your own, larger, custom-shaped plate.)

•3.2.2: Seats without Seatback Braces. If a seatback brace is not used, a strong, seat-width element such as a shoulder-harness bar must be located within six inches of the seatback to prevent the seat from failing rearward.

•3.2.3: Solid mounting. All seats, including seats on adjustable tracks, must show minimal looseness and no back-and-forth freeplay.
                •3.2.4: Seat and headrest strength. All seats must be strong enough to withstand major impacts from any angle. The headrest area must be strong enough not to bend in a heavy rear impact.
                I dont see FIA anywhere in there boss.
                The bolded part is especially important.

Comment

Working...
                X