Shifter boot ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter boot ideas?

After a ride to fort worth at 3,300 RPM's I got tired of the 4 speed, and installed a TKO500 in the Malibu. Just stabbed the freshly cut (for the 4th time) drive shaft. All I have left is to weld up a little patch panel to cover up the old 4 speed hole and find an adequate shifter boot situation.

Problem is this TKO shifter is rather large, and now I have this long ass hole to cover up. I found this gigantic boot but it sure is ugly.
    Anyone have an idea on how to made this look decent and avoid that hideous big boot?

I'm sure everyone here knows what a TKO shifter looks like, but here's the hole. It over laps the old 4 speed hole which will soon be patched.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Get some aluminum and cut to fit and pop rivite then sylicone around it.

Comment

You could always do the ol Crown Royal bag shifter boot...

1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        You could always do the ol Crown Royal bag shifter boot...

Fuck. I did just get a new Titos bag this week...
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
          Fuck. I did just get a new Titos bag this week...
          Problem solved!

Comment

Make a small console out of sheet metal and use a smaller boot ?

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
              Make a small console out of sheet metal and use a smaller boot ?
              Probably what's going to happen. I literally live next door to a sheet metal shop (ah the joys of living in a small industrial park).

How would I attach the new mini console to the trans tunnel? I would need to it be somewhat easily removable so I could easily change shifters and such.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

How would I attach the new mini console to the trans tunnel? I would need to it be somewhat easily removable so I could easily change shifters and such.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Probably what's going to happen. I literally live next door to a sheet metal shop (ah the joys of living in a small industrial park).

threadcerts
                  http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Sew your own leather boot up.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing Danny posted. Figure the shape you want the console to look like, make it out of cardboard and have a flange broke on the bottom of it so you have a way to screw it down.

Are you still down in Waco ?

Comment

I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing Danny posted. Figure the shape you want the console to look like, make it out of cardboard and have a flange broke on the bottom of it so you have a way to screw it down.

Are you still down in Waco ?
                        I am still in Waco until May.

I'm fabbing up a cardboard console right now. We will see how this mess goes.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I am still in Waco until May.

I'm fabbing up a cardboard console right now. We will see how this mess goes.
                          So what did you come up with ?

Comment

So what did you come up with ?

Here's a little cardboard job. I figure I'll measure for the top once I get the metal version sides tacked together.
                            I like this black trim ring from lokar. Apparently it doesnt come with a boot. I may buy the recommended lokar boot and just trim it to be short as fuck.
                            The piece in the rear is pretty close to the angle of the front of the bench seat. I need to pull the shifter and put a hole in the carpet. I just slapped the shifter on to drive it. I was just too excited. Sure is different from a 4 speed. 12" shifts VS 4 inches. Shifting into fifth is a bit notchy but every other gear is just fine. Shifter is a Steeda Tri-Ax

Get the Best Performance with Lokar Hi-Top Rectangular Boot with Threaded Bezel 3/8"-24 Thread Billet Aluminum Bezel X70-BAF1 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                            X