2000 Mustang GT Have a few ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Mustang GT Have a few ?

I bought my wife a 2000 GT with a hurt motor, for cheap. Factory motor was a Windsor 4.6. I looked around for a replacement but couldnt find one. I ended up finding a Romeo from a 2000 Expedition for cheap and went that route. Other than having a to swap everything over it wasnt that bad and it runs good.

Except I have 2 problems.

Problem 1 has been there since I first cranked the motor. There is a low rpm engine vibration. I noticed I put the balancer from the Windsor motor on the Romeo and I will change that. My question is, is it possible the 01 flywheels are different balanced or did I buy a junk motor?

Problem 2 started after a few miles of test driving. There is a rattle/squeak under the drivers side valve cover. It sounds like a bad rocker arm. If that is it, is possible to change it without pulling the came. Is it possible both problems are related? I hooked the scanner to it and there is no missfires.

If anybody can shed some light on my problems I would be greatfull.

Rattle squeak could also be a tensioner.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Did you put the flywheel dowels in?

Seriously though, flywheel balance should be the same. Did you happen to run the motor without the driveline attached to see if it runs smoothly on its own?
      Scott Ganow
      Lone Star Performance
      16300 Midway Rd
      Addison, TX 75001
      214-630-5006

Comment

I didnt run it without driveline hooked up cause I installed it all at one time. I took the belt off to see it was any probs. Problem was still there. Could it be a timing chain tensor?

Comment

Originally posted by BIT View Post
          I didnt run it without driveline hooked up cause I installed it all at one time. I took the belt off to see it was any probs. Problem was still there. Could it be a timing chain tensor?
          On those motors definitely.
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          dont downshift!!

Comment

It sounds like its right under the valve cover, but I guess it would if it was the tensensor.

Comment

Tensioners and guides on the mod 2v are very common issues. I would look at that as a definite possibility.
              Scott Ganow
              Lone Star Performance
              16300 Midway Rd
              Addison, TX 75001
              214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by BIT View Post
                It sounds like its right under the valve cover, but I guess it would if it was the tensensor.
                They tick and tap as the guides wear, they then develop slop. granted it's simply thousandths of an inch but enough for the metal chain to oscillate on the gear and move around on the guide. You'll hear it with a screwdriver on the timing cover too more than likely.
                dont downshift!!

Comment

my guess would be that you broke the timing pickup gear when you used the windsor balancer on the romeo motor.... I suggest you pull the front cover and see what you got. Won't know if it's more internal until you do that.

Comment

I used my Windsor balancer on my Romeo engine when I did my swap. The cranks are what determines which timing reluctor you need. All the flywheels are the same weight, there are only 4 flywheels total. Two different clutch sizes are 2 different mounting bolt patterns for each size. More than likely, gonna be in the timing chains or if its really under the valve cover, check the cam caps and make sure it wasn't oil starved and galled the cams and caps.

Comment

I had a 4.6 that sounded like the timing chain was making the noise and ended up being a crank bearing after replacing almost all of the timing components

Comment

I will pull it apart tomorrow to check timing components. I pulled the cam caps off and they all looked to have normal wear. Is it possible, installing the wrong balancer caused all of the problems, or am I just wishfull thinking?

Comment

Working...
                        X