Servicing drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing drums

Just noticed the back breaks are starting to make some noise. Is it pretty easy to service them myself. I can't find my damn chilton, I'm gonna keep looking for it though.....
    .....bro....

its easy, just not as easy as the front calipers. might as well get a kit for it all while you're there.

Just make sure the springs go on the exact way they were before.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      its easy, just not as easy as the front calipers. might as well get a kit for it all while you're there.

Just make sure the springs go on the exact way they were before.
      Do one side at a time so when you fuck up you have a reference to put it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
        Do one side at a time so when you fuck up you have a reference to put it back together.
        X2 on the one side at a time. Get the tool that is used to slide the springs on and off. It looks like a 135 degree v or L. It is round on one end and has a notch to go.on the post the spring hooks to. Not too expensive and makes it easier than trying to use a screw driver or prybar.

After you get it done you'll wonder why you used to pay to have it done.
        Rich

Comment

There pretty easy, just do one at a time as already mentioned.

Comment

So where can I get these tools ans wthbarw they called?
            .....bro....

Comment

Just don't poke your eye out with needle nose pliers doing the springs!
              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Back BRAKES is easy to do IF you have the tools.

As for noise, there is a lot of reasons for brake noise. Brake noise is vibrations/harmoitics from pads/shoes unless metal to metal. I have a car that has perfect brakes. New rotors from Ford, New pads, but still makes noise.
                Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                  So where can I get these tools ans wthbarw they called?
                  Brake spring removal tool I think. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, or any auto parts store should have them.

Needle nose vice grips and a pry bar will work too, though.

Comment

Pshhh....of course, I found it online at harbor freight for 20 bucks. I figured they're going bad because I just now started hearing to noise. One of these days I'll be able to afford a five lug conversion, till then I need to learn how to do these drums. Saw some YouTube bids and it looks fairly simple.
                    .....bro....

Comment

I dont think i spent $20 for my tool. More like 4 bucks at autozone.

Comment

It's pretty simple...What I did is as I take it apart, lay parts on ground with same orientation. So when I'm ready to put back, I know where they go since I layed them out same way.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          I dont think i spent $20 for my tool. More like 4 bucks at autozone.
                          But this one comes with 7 pieces.

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                          It's pretty simple...What I did is as I take it apart, lay parts on ground with same orientation. So when I'm ready to put back, I know where they go since I layed them out same way.
                          I'm not listening to you since you always ignore my game invites on mw3
                          Last edited by A+; 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM.
                          .....bro....

Comment

How much do folks usually charge to change out these shoes? I've been to 3 different places and can't find the tools and this shit is starting to grind...
                            .....bro....

Comment

Yeah it's easy, we just serviced the 58' and 59' caddy. I'm working on my 83 cj7 now, and it all seams pretty easy.

Oh and oreilys will turn your drum for $15 if it needs it.
                              Last edited by wishitwasasvt; 12-08-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X