1987 22re locked up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 22re locked up.

Me and my dad have had an 1987 Toyota pick up 4x4 since 05 or so. It never really saw a lot of road time from us but has 187k miles on it. We got it to use as a farm truck/deer lease vehicle. My dad had taken a bet with his buddy that the truck couldnt make it through a stock tank we have. Well it made it through, but the bank was too steep and my dad for whatever reason decided to keep trying.. Blew the head gasket and warped the head. So we put a new head on it and never had any other issues. Then it sat for 2 years.

Back in 2008, I decided I wanted to drive it back through the core land/creek behind our house. So I aired up the tires and put the battery on a charger and it started right up. I drove it around for a few days until the mesquite trees fubard the side walls of the tires. There it sat until now.

I put jumper cables on it, went to start it and it just clicked once, you can hear it engage but it doesn't turn over. So I checked all the belt accessories and idlers to make sure they turn by hand, and they do. I got a breaker bar and tried to hand turn the crank, it's seized... I pulled the plugs and they weren't rusty, there isn't any water in the oil. So I poured some ATF in the cylinders and started to work it back and forth.. I got it to move maybe 1/32-1/16th of an inch before it lock up again.

I took the oil cap off and put my ear to it as I was turning it, and you can hear it move, and feel air but it's like it's hitting something or it's in a bind. The truck is an automatic so I'm somewhat dumbfounded on what else besides seized rings could be causing this issue, and I find it weird the engine would seize after 6 years.

Thoughts? Inputs? Suggestions?

Going to let the ATF set for a few days and go back and check it on wednesday.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

might pull the started just to make sure that it didn't hang in the flywheel. Usually by turning the motor over backwards they will disengage, but if the starter seized it might not. Easy check just to help confirm the motor is or is not seized.

Comment

I had someone turn the key while I had a hold of the breaker bar and it would move the crank, I would spin it back wards and do it again. Same result. Turn it a few degrees then it would seize.

I'll still check it, I even beat on the starter and it didn't change anything.

Comment

Had an 86 2 wheel drive a while a go, manuel trans.

Good truck except that the starter didn't not disengage once. Click, then nothing, "locked up" untill I removed the starter. Bad bendex on the starter.

Replaced it and no more trouble

Just what happened, might not fix you up.

Comment

I will pull the starter tomorrow. Hopefully that's all it is.

If anything that ATF sill seal those rings and clean the piss out of the cylinders!

Comment

If it's already locked, and you're going to put something in it to break it loose, and you care about the rings, use a penetrating oil, like Marvel's Mystery Oil, and let it sit overnight. Just putting ATF in it, and banging back and forth with a break-over bar is a good way to get broken rings. Either way, it'll smoke like a son of a bitch for a while, so suck it, mosquitoes. Good luck, dude.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

i have a reconditioned 22r engine for 899.00 + tax and 285.00 Core. 1 year parts warranty... LKQ reman division.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                If it's already locked, and you're going to put something in it to break it loose, and you care about the rings, use a penetrating oil, like Marvel's Mystery Oil, and let it sit overnight. Just putting ATF in it, and banging back and forth with a break-over bar is a good way to get broken rings. Either way, it'll smoke like a son of a bitch for a while, so suck it, mosquitoes. Good luck, dude.
                Yeah, I wasnt trying to force anything in fear of breaking the rings or crank bolt.

Hopefully it's the starter.

Comment

What about a seized distributor shaft?

Comment

Pull the distributor out, and see if that does it.

Comment

I am, the truck is 35mins away from my house and I work during daylight hours.

I'll get it running tomorrow, hopefully.

I'll post up the results.

I searched google and several 4x4 and Toyota forums and couldn't find anything similar to this, so we shall see.

Comment

Dude, if all else fails, holler at Nemo. That isn't a bad price, since dirt track guys have bought up so many of those.

Comment

Removed the starter, distributor, belts and it still moves a little, clunks then stops.

It's like something is binding, idk what else to check.

Comment

broken t-chain?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                              broken t-chain?
                              It ran when I parked it. So I doubt it.

Comment

Working...