Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle problem

I recently replaced my fuel filter and spark plugs. I cleaned the air filter and checked all vacuum hoses were connected. The idle is all over the place between 500rpm and 1k rpm. It happens in whichever gear I'm in. Any ideas of what could be the problem?
    2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Originally posted by DeddRekoning View Post

I recently replaced my fuel filter and spark plugs. I cleaned the air filter and checked all vacuum hoses were connected. The idle is all over the place between 500rpm and 1k rpm. It happens in whichever gear I'm in. Any ideas of what could be the problem?
    Just throwing out some random thoughts... spark plug gap? You sure all the wires are making good connection on the plugs? Replace the wires too? Fuel connections around filter are good and tight? No leaks?

Comment

When I changed the spark plugs, I gapped them at .054. It's COP for the spark plugs and I haven't changed the coil pack on each yet. Didn't see any leaks around fuel filter.
      2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Comment

Did you over oil your filter? Try cleaning your maf.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Didn't oil the filter, just blew it out with air hose. By cleaning the MAF, do you just unplug and blow it out as well or what?

Comment

They make mass air flow cleaner, not harsh and won't leave behind any residue.

Are you sure you're coil packs are seated correctly and not arching on the plug tubes?

Go and floor the shit out of it and see if it clears up. Sometimes it will need to relearn the iacv

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I would do what 91coupe is suggesting first. If that doesn't remedy it you'll need to look deeper.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

ONLY USE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER, as stated above. DO NOT use carb cleaner, brake cleaner, alcohol, etc. IT WILL DAMAGE the sensor. That being said it's easy to do, either remove the sensor form the housing (usually requires a safety torx), or just remove the filter and you'll see two diode looking elements inside the mass housing. They should be a clearish white looking color. If they are dark-black colored or have any fuzz or a football shape rather than cylinderical then cleaning may very well help.

Comment

See if any code(s) is logged.

Comment

When looking into the IAC, should the piston thing be moving all the way left and right or just an 1/8th of an inch to 1/2 inch back and forth? Reason I ask is because we took it off and put power to it and it barely moved back and forth.

Comment

Working...
                    X