Supercharging Newbie - Need Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharging Newbie - Need Help.

I have been reading and reading and reading... and everything I read has a different answer. Or a reason to NOT do something I read to do!!

I just need some definate answers on how to setup my car properly....

I have an 87GT speed density car. It is a completely stock, non-HO motor. I bought the V3-SCi kit (entry level 5-6 psi)...

I was told to upgrade the fuel pump and put an MSD box on it to utilize a rev limiter. So I bought a Walbro 255 and an MSD 6-AL2.

Then I read horror stories of using the Vortech FMU... that i need to convert to MAF, upgrade injectors, and get a custom tune from Bob Krugan...

I speak with Bob, and he tells me I need convert to MAF and the FMU and BTM will work work, but a custom tune would do wonders... He says Base timing @ 10*, 60lb injectors, MAF, tune/chip is what I need, which he wants $1000 for. And he says I bought an older V3-SCi kit if it didn't come with a BTM... looked those up, and they are $450+.

So confused. Vortech sells this kit saying its entry level, 5-6psi boost on STOCK engine, no mods needed. Fuel pump and rev limiter I can understand... but now I am being told it's going to be an additional $1500 for the stuff listed above to get my $2000 kit to work properly!

WTF do I need to do guys? I feel like the members on corral are REALLY good at spending other peoples money on bullshit. I'm not trying to run with John Force here... just want to wake this fuckin car up a little! Figured I'd get a straight answer here. I need someone to teach me the ways of the dark side dammit.

I'm the all knowing

Comment

You can keep SD, but it's a pain in the dick to tune, from what I read. I'm out on the rest of it, but 60 lb injectors seems a bit large to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
        I'm the all knowing
        Teach me father

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          You can keep SD, but it's a pain in the dick to tune, from what I read. I'm out on the rest of it, but 60 lb injectors seems a bit large to me.
          He said 42's at MINIMUM, but 60's are the same price so he recommended those.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post

I'd go with someone from the boards who actually knows what they're talking about.

Comment

bigger fuel pump and no fmu, adjustable regulator, plus something to kill the factory rev limiter. you can probably get away with #30 injectors with that setup, so yes a new maf too. wideband is the most important piece.

Comment

shit nevermind, realized its speed density..................fmu it is. with the correct plate, they can be had used but be careful as with anything fuel related.

Comment

30's will take you to 400hp. I'd get a chip burned for some 30's, bump the top row of the VE table to 100%, set the commanded fuel to .78 lambda, min tp for open loop to 2.75 volts, and set the wot fuel multiplier to .80. This should be safe for a stock SD 302 with 6 pounds. I would consider an Innovate MTXL wideband a must have. Set the base timing at 14 until you get the fuel ironed out. 255 in tank pump a must.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                    42s at maximum for what you have. Not one member here will tell you to buy 60s for Taft set up unless you are going for more power later on

Comment

42's can be challenging to tune with SD because the is only a Hi slope. When you get the wot right, the idle and deceleration suffer. Just look at the specs posted by Ford for 42's. High slope or 42 but low slope of 50. The new style 60's are Hi of 60 and Lo of 62 or 63. Much more linear curve and IMHO easier to tune correctly with SD then the old fat top 42's.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                        30's will take you to 400hp. I'd get a chip burned for some 30's, bump the top row of the VE table to 100%, set the commanded fuel to .78 lambda, min tp for open loop to 2.75 volts, and set the wot fuel multiplier to .80. This should be safe for a stock SD 302 with 6 pounds. I would consider an Innovate MTXL wideband a must have. Set the base timing at 14 until you get the fuel ironed out. 255 in tank pump a must.
                        Lost... 100% lost. Where do I get a chip burned? When a chip is burned, does that include all the other stuff you just said?

So, 30lb injectors, and a MAF. Any recommendations? If I get a chip burned, can they adjust the rev limiter to eliminate the 6AL2 I just bought? I could use that money towards the injectors / MAF if so...

I'll look into a wideband, but have no idea how to read one or what to look for...

Comment

I'm saying leave it SD. You can vent the bypass to the atmosphere.

Comment

Convert to mass air, add 42# injectors, 255 pump, a good ignition box will benefit and get a custom tune. This is the safest, and best way to go about it.

Comment

I agree about the ignition box with a rev limiter. The tune is necessary to raise the factory limiter. I don't think MAF is necessary until he swaps to a more aggressive camshaft. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then by all means do the swap. I would pass the 42's for 60's and run the newer style HPX slot meter in a blow through configuration. Vent the bypass to the atmosphere too. Put a renegade crank pulley and a 3.33" blower pulley. That should get the car moving out. Save for a new trans too. This is only if you have the smoking pockets.

Comment

Working...
                              X