Need head gaskets '07 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikec View Post
    Mileage is total bullshit man. The highest I've ever seen it is 14.6 on the lie meter, which isn't accurate at all.

It also runs out of fuel when it reads a 1/4 tank and shows 80 miles left to go.

Just about hating this truck right now.
    Something isn't right with that mpg. What are you hauling in the bed. I've got duallys with 4.10 gears that average 17+ empty hwy at 70 mph. Are you always driving 85 mph?

Mine with heavy 22" wheels and 36" tires wouldn't get 13 hwy unless I was towing my car hauler.

My avg. hwy mpg was around 17 with a best of 19 mpg a couple of times with stock 20's.

My best tank on my 6.4 is a smidge over 17 and I'm averaging a little over 15 hand calculated combined. This 6.4 is my favorite truck I've owned so I've gotten over the mpg.

Comment

Cummins swap?
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Shortbed four door FX4, usually with a pretty much empty bed. I've tried slow starts, fast starts, cruising at 65, at 70, at 85, and mileage doesn't really vary much.

At this point I'm thinking this is just a lemon of a cursed truck.

And Yale, that would be awesome. I loved my 24v, just hated the piece of shit truck. Now I have a damned good truck with a shitty engine. Would love to have a Cummins in it but don't have that kind of coin. Hell, I even have a rifle up to get this $3000 of wasted repairs taken care of.

Literally going to be over $10,000 in 15 months in maintenance now. Transmission, alternator, batteries, brakes, and engine. FML.
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Shortbed four door FX4, usually with a pretty much empty bed. I've tried slow starts, fast starts, cruising at 65, at 70, at 85, and mileage doesn't really vary much.

At this point I'm thinking this is just a lemon of a cursed truck.

And Yale, that would be awesome. I loved my 24v, just hated the piece of shit truck. Now I have a damned good truck with a shitty engine. Would love to have a Cummins in it but don't have that kind of coin. Hell, I even have a rifle up to get this $3000 of wasted repairs taken care of.

Literally going to be over $10,000 in 15 months in maintenance now. Transmission, alternator, batteries, brakes, and engine. FML.
          They are high dollar money pits without a warranty on them when age sets in. Best bet is to get over fuel economy and go with a 6.0-2 chevy 3/4 ton. I know a couple of smaller oil well guys out here who've replaced all the diesels with gas and haven't had a problem unless they are towing a backhoe. I recently sold a 06 F350 6.0 to a oil guy who was going to keep his 24k# backhoe/trailer hooked up to the truck and use it only for that because he switched all five of his crew trucks to ford 6.2L F250 4x4. He was having too many problems with his 6.0 and 6.4 diesels

Comment

This truck has a whole 119,xxx miles on it. When I bought it there were 88,xxx on it.

So... not counting fuel and tires and oil changes etc, this truck charges me three dollars and ten cents a mile to drive it. What a mother fucking bargain!

And hell will freeze over before a Chevy is parked in my driveway with my name on the title. Just... won't happen...
            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Thats cool.

Get a V10 of the same year. With what your getting mpg wise and the difference in gas/diesel, you should come out ahead. A V10 will get 13 empty all day long in the same truck you have. Your truck when fixed if clean should net you a equally as clean, slightly newer, lower miles V10.

Comment

Actually I'm thinking about going back down to an F150 at this point. The heaviest pulling I do is a horse trailer or car trailer, and that's once a month, so I don't really need a 250. I just hate to have to take this large a hit on it. Hell, once these heads are done it will probably not break down again for at least two more months...
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Actually I'm thinking about going back down to an F150 at this point. The heaviest pulling I do is a horse trailer or car trailer, and that's once a month, so I don't really need a 250. I just hate to have to take this large a hit on it. Hell, once these heads are done it will probably not break down again for at least two more months...
                  might even get three out of it. You put a ficm in it yet? What about a fan clutch or rail mount fuel pump? There is still a few somewhat common things left to break you haven't replaced yet.

How the ball joints looking? Your getting close on those also.

I hear you on F150. My current 10 F250 is my last DD diesel after driving one since 04 as a daily. 7.3-6.0-6.4-something gas powered. I'm about to change oil/fuel filters. There goes $130. Probably a 6.2 F250 as I like the solid front axle.

My 7.3 was a money pit, but it is the only one that had over 100k miles. Balljoints, HPOP, and when I sold it the transmission was slipping under power with the 37" tires and the dptuner 80hp tune. Stock tires/tune everything was fine.

Comment

It's supposed to read in degrees foo! And that decimal point being off one was a pain in the ass. Got that corrected when they reloaded the software for me, now it's good to go.

One of the things I've always done is watch those temps, and 1200 and change is the highest I've ever seen it. At this point I'm wondering why the hype on modding these damned things if you can't run tunes? Makes no sense...
                    Supposed to read "wasn't". There is no way you were only hitting 1200, unless your probe was in a weird place. I was hitting 1450+ stock. And egt's don't necessarily kill a diesel, it's sustained high temps.

You can run the tune, you just have to take all necessary steps to do it worry free. I tore parts up on my cummins as well, they just weren't engineered to do what people are trying to do with them.

Comment

sounds like a real POS.

Comment

Mileage is total bullshit man. The highest I've ever seen it is 14.6 on the lie meter, which isn't accurate at all.

It also runs out of fuel when it reads a 1/4 tank and shows 80 miles left to go.

Just about hating this truck right now.
                        Pull the fuel tank and put a new pick up on the bottom of the fuel sending unit. they will fall off and cause it to run out of fuel at 1/4 tank. My 06 f250 cc 4x4 short bed running on innovative diesel extreme street 7 days a week gets 14 around town, 17-18 on highway at 70-80 avg. Towing 10k pounds on the street tune gets 8-10 at 70-80. Might want to check for exhaust leaks or boost leaks, both will kill fuel mileage. I have heard from friends that Mike Green has been putting head studs in without replacing head gaskets on a few trucks, just does one bolt at a time. You are not the first one to have problems with him. Sorry for your luck.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the pick up. May do that next. And on the head gaskets, that is exactly what I fear happened here. Guess I need to get with Aarron at Bankston Frisco to find out if Mike had him actually replace the gaskets or just install the studs.

The four inch exhaust I put on it from the turbo back just has the clamps, guess I need to go see our resident muffler man like Garth told me to months ago...

Sean, that's just what it reads man. It generally idles around 450-500 if that helps, averages 7-850 or so when I'm driving around and taking off. It's in the bottom of the exhaust manifold just before where it connects to the actual exhaust. Looks to be a decent spot for it.

Forgot about the FICM, had to do that literally two weeks ago.
                          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                          X