Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking egr passage.

Stock 5.0 ho intake.

Throttle body gasket failed again again and my upper intake is caked in antifreeze sludge.

I took the upper off and put a nickle in the egr hole.

Will this cause issues untuned?

Because fuck this noise.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

bypass the coolant going to the egr spacer

Comment

They say that over heats the inlet from the exhaust gases.

So I'm trying to block the egr and bypass the coolant.

Comment

The fact that you continue to lose TB gaskets means you have an issue with either the TB/spacer mating surfaces are not perfectly flat, and/or you have issues with too much pressure in the coolant. You WILL NOT get so much psi from the exhaust gasses to blow those gaskets.

Case in point....I also had TB gaskets fail and start dripping coolant out side AND inside. When I went through the 2nd set I knew something was up. So before I wasted another set of gaskets, I layed a straight edge on the TB and it was warped. So I flattened the mating surfaces.

But here's the kicker: turns out the TB was warped because I had a bad head gasket letting compression into the water jacket (#3 cylinder) which was in turn sending steam right up the EGR coolant nipple/line and trying to blow my TB off the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          They say that over heats the inlet from the exhaust gases.

So I'm trying to block the egr and bypass the coolant.
          Think about what you just wrote...

The egr is for fucken emmissions. Exhaust gas recirculate... Its to warm the air up so it burns cleaner and pollutes less. You think throwing 180 degree coolant through a spacer that would otherwise be ambient temps is better than not throwing coolant through it? Take all that shit off and just get an egr delete for the throttle cable to attach to.

Comment

That could be an issue, but if I have a blown head gasket I'm not worried about it.

Will be pulling the heads pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post

The egr is for fucken emmissions. Exhaust gas recirculate... Its to warm the air up so it burns cleaner and pollutes less. You think throwing 180 degree coolant through a spacer that would otherwise be ambient temps is better than not throwing coolant through it? Take all that shit off and just get an egr delete for the throttle cable to attach to.
              I have a non egr accufab to put on, just trying to do this w/o tuning it.

Just need it to run good for a few more weeks.

I read on corral that egr temps are close to 400*.

I'm trying to bypass it and block the coolant lines and it not mess with the ECM

Comment

Without a at least some type of tuner you can't disable the egr system. It will affect how your car runs more than likely causing a lean or rich condition block every thing you want off but you can't make the eec do anything without telling it to do so via a tune

Fwiw trick flow makes a delete spacer for a decent price. Keeps coolant N exhaust gas out of the throttle body.that mixed with an oil separator should keep my newly ceramic coated gt40 upper nice and clean

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

So if I block the egr from entering the upper intake, the computer will see no egr pressure and adjust my AFR accordingly?

I know if I unplug the vaccume source from the egr valve. It gets shitty mpg.

Hmm, so bypass the coolant but leave the passages open?

Comment

tune it out and get rid of it. and the wires going to it.

Comment

I bypassed the cooling lines, left the passage open.

Ill be elimanating it 100% with my accufab set up, and going to use the block off lower intake gaskets for the systemax.

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post

EGR gasses are recirculated into the intake charge to lower combustion temps, thereby reducing NOx.

I'm going to add that when the EGR system is working correctly, the ECM "sees" part throttle and meters EGR gasses accordingly. There is ZERO EGR at closed throttle, there is ZERO EGR at WOT.
                        A properly working EGR system gets you better MPG when you're putzing around town and does NOT cost you HP at the track (or wherever you're hammering on it).
                        Last edited by 90MarkVII; 11-11-2012, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Comment

91CoupeMike,
                            You really need to clean everything off then check your mating surfaces with a good straight edge.
                            It is easy enough to get them back to flat.

Comment

Run a tap through that hole in your lower intake, then put a flush mount pipe plug in there. Pretty cheap and lasts forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X