Thinking about a T-Trim instead of the S Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a T-Trim instead of the S Trim

The intercooled S-Trim is in my 93 Lightning. I saw a max of 14#'s this last track outing during the DFW Fall Cruise. Truck weighs 4720# with me in it. I figure the flywheel hp to be around 550, but I still only have 18º of total timing in it and my AFR was rich at .76 Lambda. I project 575-600hp at the flywheel with the AFR leaned out to .78 and maybe 22º of total timing in it.

I'm really considering a swap to the T-Trim over the S-Trim. If I keep the impellar speed the same, what sort of boost increase should I see? Currently when the belt isn't slipping I can see 16#'s after the IC at 52,000 RPM< impellar speed. The T-Trim flows more than the S-Trim and I'm honestly looking to pick up another 25-40hp at the same impellar speed and shift RPM. Anyone here done the upgrade, and if so what improvement did you see?

If it is more efficient pressure, it may be less..

Boost is irrelevant with the proper density and restriction limitations.

If anything I would expect to see less (or right at the same) boost with a cooler charge and a broader boost curve.

Comment

S trim = 1000 cfm
      T trim = 1200 cfm

1200 x .069 = 82.8 x 10.86 = 899.2 less power to run it = (shooting 25% loss) = roughly 624 rw supportability with efficient pressure.

Comment

My thought was that with similar impellar RPM and moving more air, the T Trim would make more boost sooner. I was hoping anyway.

Comment

I'd like to see it take me into the 7.40 range at full weight. Then I'll stroke it, Dart block it, and go for a daily driver that runs in the 6's or high 10's. that's the goal. Quiet, smooth idle, and cold AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
            My thought was that with similar impellar RPM and moving more air, the T Trim would make more boost sooner. I was hoping anyway.
            Not sure if it would build boost sooner but I know it would add power across the band.

Comment

The F1-a I had made more boost with a 4" pulley (21 psi @7200rpm) and started making boost @ 2200 rpm, than the D-1 I currently have with the same 4" pulley (16 psi @7200 rpm). The combo is exactly the same other than a smaller head unit. The step up ratio and impeller design difference in the F1-a accounted for the earlier and higher peak boost

Comment

I have done the swap. Your mileage will vary but on a 302 with decent heads the T-trim wouldn't build boost as fast. It made a few more psi up top but in the mid range it was slower to get there. It isn't a bad setup if you have traction problems.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I'm going to try this hub+Gen2 lower ring first. This way I can run a much larger blower pulley and eliminate the belt slip. This way I can go with a 3.25" blower pulley instead of a 2.85-2.95 and get the same impellar speed. The lower can be interchanged. I'll start with 9.1" from Metco. I'd like to see what happens with less belt slip. Maximize what I have then go from there. I'll be on the lookout for a T-Trim head unit. Anyone have one for sale?

Comment

I always wanted to do the wastegate setup in this article. May be the solution to your problem. Just run a small pulley and use the wastegate to control the boost. That will make the boost come in sooner.

2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                      I always wanted to do the wastegate setup in this article. May be the solution to your problem. Just run a small pulley and use the wastegate to control the boost. That will make the boost come in sooner.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...l/viewall.html
                      this doesn't deal with the shaft speed issues.

Comment

Nor does it cure belt slip, but the larger crank pulley allowing a larger blower pulley does. Belt wrap was always the main point I addressed, was always able to get good belt wrap on my mod motors

Comment

Man used T-Trims are as scarce as hen's teeth!

Comment

Well I picked up a Novi 2000 today so let the games begin.

Comment

that ought to do it

Comment

Working...
                              X