Turn signals not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
    Pull the hazard switch out of the housing, I had the exact same problem... the orange wire is loose. Push it back in and try again, seems to be a common problem.
    So even if the flashers are working this can still be the problem?

Comment

Car is totalled. I'll haul it off and not even charge you!

Comment

Marty, if the flashers work it's either the multifunction switch and/or something to do with that orange wire. (like grounding out etc)

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          Marty, if the flashers work it's either the multifunction switch and/or something to do with that orange wire. (like grounding out etc)
          Brooks I checked the orange wire and nothing is loose. I put a new fuse in and the signals worked twice then blew the fuse again. What is the multifunction switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Car is totalled. I'll haul it off and not even charge you!
            As many problems as I've been having Im considering selling both of my cars!

Comment

Originally posted by mustvid View Post
              Brooks I checked the orange wire and nothing is loose. I put a new fuse in and the signals worked twice then blew the fuse again. What is the multifunction switch?
              The multifunction switch is the wiper/turnsignal switch, aka multifunction.

If it worked twice, chances are there's a bad bulb or socket. Have you got into any wiring when you removed that MSD box? Maybe pulled on the harness where it would cut through and rub on bare metal?

To ease the process of elimination, the free check would be to pull each turn signal bulb out one at a time and test the turn signals in between each one you take out. Once it lights up without blowing the fuse, you've found the bad bulb or socket. Keep in mind, when you pull the bulb and turn on the signal it will NOT flash, as the resistance of the bulb is not present to activate the flasher. It will just light up the front bulb if you've pulled the rear, and the rear if you've pulled the front bulb.

Comment

From what I have seen lately, who uses turn signals?

Agree with Turbostang...
                Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

If you keep blowing a fuse, there has to be a short/ground somewhere. If the orange wire is in there tight, start checking bulbs as already suggested. Whatever you do, don't put a bigger fuse in there to hide the problem. There is a good reason why the fuse is the size it is. Electrical issues suck, but whatevs, just start troubleshooting them.
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I just had this same problem with turn signals not working. Hazards did work. 1995 mustang GT.

Looking back - airbag light came on first. I ignored this.

Then turn signals stop working about a week later.

Found the fuse was blown, replace fuse, car is fine (working blinkers) for a bit. Get gas and fuse blows again. Get more fuses, fuse blows when reversing out of parking lot. Aha. Narrow it down to fuse blowing when I put the car in reverse.

After troubleshooting reverse light bulbs and transmission switch to see what was working / what was blowing fuses -

Ended up being my back up lamp switch (20.00-30.00) that screws into the side of the T-5 went bad.
                    Got a new one from Oriliey's the same day and was able to drive it into work today!
                    Last edited by mustang_revival; 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM.
                    WRX

Comment

Working...
                    X