1999 f250 7.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 f250 7.3

Looking into getting a f250 7.3 with 170k on motor and trans, it's 2wd 4 door 5 speed. Has edge evolution tuner cai stock tires and ranch hand bumpers. What kind of gas mileage could I get out of this? What common issues do 7.3 run into? Anything in particular I should look for when checking this truck out?

i have a 2002 that is just about identical (same tuner but exhaust also) to yours but has less miles. mileage is not very good, but i always have it hooked to trailer. probably around 12-14. this is my third 7.3 powerstroke. only problem i have ever had is cam sensor. this particular truck hasnt even had that issue. not near the power or comfort of the new diesels but damn near bullet proof.

Comment

Should be able to get ~22mpg on the highway with the right parts and driving

Sent from my not soo far away Galaxy...
      1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
      2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
      2000 F250 4x4 PSD
      2012 Ford Exploder
      www.fquick.com/payne5757
      www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

Is it an intercooler 99.5+ model?

1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
        2000 F250 4x4 PSD
        2012 Ford Exploder
        www.fquick.com/payne5757

Comment

I have an 02 lariat 4x4 with 160k Im selling for around 15k. the truck is perfect

Comment

My brother is selling his '02 7.3L, 6 speed manual, with 110K on the clock if you're interested.
            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
            '13 Dodge Cummins
            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

truck has turbo back 4in exhaust with the stock intercooler, thanks for the info but im looking into trading a 240sx.
              the guy told me anywhere from 15-25 mpg, which 15 seems right but i was having a hard time seeing a 7.3 obtain that kind of mpg.

Comment

with a manual and an easy foot, 20 on the highway used to be easy with the older deisel. the new fuel sucks
                Originally posted by soap
                i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

My 95 7.3 277k auto is getting 16 last time checked but lately has been doing a lot better,
                  Hoping the custom 6 position helps!

Comment

I drive my truck with a light foot and do a lil halfass hypermiling and it gets 15mpg mixed. Last time I had the patience to do 63mph on a roadtrip, it got over 18mpg and its an auto on 36" tires. Before the lift and tires it got 20ish on the highway and the best I ever achieved was 21.5. All those are hand calculated with a full topoff each time.

2000 F250 4x4 PSD
                    2012 Ford Exploder
                    www.fquick.com/payne5757

Comment

2wd 5 spd should be good for 22-3 mpg with plenty of air in tires. A good friend had a 2wd auto 2k and could get 22 in the right conditions.

Comment

The 94-97 5 speeds get the best mileage. They where lighter then the 99-03 trucks. My 95 Crew cab 1 ton 4x4 5spd got around 19-20 unloaded. My 03 crew 2wd gets about 16-18 with no tuner. Only mods on both, exhaust and intake. My 03 needs an alignment though so the mileage could have been a little better from TN.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          The 94-97 5 speeds get the best mileage. They where lighter then the 99-03 trucks. My 95 Crew cab 1 ton 4x4 5spd got around 19-20 unloaded. My 03 crew 2wd gets about 16-18 with no tuner. Only mods on both, exhaust and intake. My 03 needs an alignment though so the mileage could have been a little better from TN.
                          I've got a 97' 2WD CC/LWB 1-Ton DRW with the manual trans...150K bone stock all the way down to the factory cat, last I checked it was getting 16-17, but it does have 4.10's in the rear too. I bought an exhaust for it, just haven't yet installed it...planning to pick up a Bill's tune and a Tymar intake for it as well...from past 7.3 experience (this is my 4th one) I'm guessing it will get a lot closer to 20 then. However, I don't drive it much either so it'll probably take me 3-months just to run a tank through it!
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I hope some of yall posting your mpgs are not going by the lie-0-meter....My 2002 crew cab 4x4 f250 got 17-18 mpgs back when I had a whopping 11 mile stop and go commute to work. I now drive 32 miles one way to work (all highway) and have been getting 21-23 mpgs all hand calculated.

Six position bullydog chip and 4" turbo down exhaust are the only mods. I also might add that I drive like a little bitch and try to keep it under 70.

Comment

Originally posted by svtcobra03 View Post
                              Looking into getting a f250 7.3 with 170k on motor and trans, it's 2wd 4 door 5 speed. Has edge evolution tuner cai stock tires and ranch hand bumpers. What kind of gas mileage could I get out of this? What common issues do 7.3 run into? Anything in particular I should look for when checking this truck out?
                              vale cover harnesses go out (rare, but it does happen). Open the fuel* filter and make sure it has no oil in there...if it does, you will need new injector rings.
                              22mpg easily. I got that in my ex cab long bed (auto tranny) with 35" tires no problem if a stayed out of it.
                              what kind of CAI?
                              Last edited by crapstang; 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM.
                              Originally posted by Buzzo
                              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X