4r70w transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4r70w transmission

Has any of you guys used this transmission in a fox.

Several that I know of have. You will need a controller box such as the Baumann unit for it.

Comment

I was reading that you could get a Manuel valve body

Comment

Originally posted by juic3d View Post
        I was reading that you could get a Manuel valve body
        Yes, you can do that also. It kinda defeats the purpose of an automatic though, unless you have an all out race car.

Comment

Yea that's what I was thinking...by going to a manual valve body why would it make it an all out race car.. I'm new to this for sure

Comment

It wouldn't necessarily but many drag racer w/ auto's use a manual valve body on the race car. With the manual valve body you will be making every gear change just as you do with a manual......just no clutch. For me, I'll take one or the other but a hybrid doesn't appeal to me for daily driving.

Read up on the www.clickclickracing.com site for plenty of information on automatic transmissions and modifying them for heavy duty usage. The site appears to be down right now or I would post a link.

The 4R70W is a tough and dependable transmission that can handle a fair amount of power.

Comment

Yea I found one of those transmisson and they say they are one of the strongest autos ford makes. But converters are high.. Do you think I could get this tranny and all the right parts to work in a fox for around 600 and still have a overdrive.. Car makes about 325 to the wheels on motor plus a 150 shot

Comment

Originally posted by juic3d View Post
                Do you think I could get this tranny and all the right parts to work in a fox for around 600 and still have a overdrive.. Car makes about 325 to the wheels on motor plus a 150 shot

No.

The Bauman controller box is over $400. You can probably find a used but working transmission for a couple of hundred if you look around. I think the 4R70W's are longer than AOD's / T5's so you may need driveshaft modifications.

On the brighter side, a stock 4R70W should handle your power level with no problems.

'98-up transmissions had an improved valve body.

If bolting up to a 5.0 you will need a transmission from behind a V6 or out of a 5.0 Mountaineer / Explorer.

Comment

You could probably find a usable AOD to get you by for a while.

Pros - cheap, bolts right in, plentiful.

Cons - its an AOD and will require some mods before it will handle a lot more than stock power.

Comment

I found a used one on corral in texas with stock converter which they say is about 2200 for 150 then would have to get valve body and driveshaft

Comment

Working...
                    X