Oil pan to K-member clearance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan to K-member clearance issues

Well I got my engine in and noticed the oil pan rear sump hits my MM K-member and the front drain plug touches my stock swaybar. Will I need to move my motor back an inch? Has anyone ran into this issue before? It's a 7qt Moroso oil pan and it's in a '88 LX. The oil pan drain plug sticks out 3/4" out from the pan. Any help is appreciated.

'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
    '13 Dodge Cummins
    '14 Rubicon X

drop mounts?

The sway bar is common, you can space the bar down some to fix that.

K member, that may be tough - Does it look like there's room to move the engine back?

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
      drop mounts?

The sway bar is common, you can space the bar down some to fix that.

K member, that may be tough - Does it look like there's room to move the engine back?
      I'm using convertible motor mounts. If I move the engine back an inch it'll be pretty close to the firewall then I might need my DS shortened, I can also move the K forward and re-square it for more firewall clearance.

I'm trying to stab the trans right now but can't get the engine to lean back far enough to help get it in.
      '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
      '13 Dodge Cummins
      '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Anyone know if these motor mounts will help me out? I know it says it'll lift the engine up, I'm not worried about hood clearance, I just wanna get this thing running.

'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
        '13 Dodge Cummins
        '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Well I switched my motor mounts for some Energy Suspension mounts and it still didn't help. Come to find out the oil pan I have isn't compatible with my MM K-member and either are my Kooks headers FML. So I ended up ordering a Team Z K-member and A-arms. After I install them I'll let you guys know how it goes, from everyone I talked to this should fix my issue.

I'd like to thank Jim & Nicole at FordStrokers for all their advice and Dave at Team Z.
          '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
          '13 Dodge Cummins
          '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Maybe a cheaper solution would work?

I would first try raising the motor a touch with some washers, and take into consideration
            the motor shake.

If it works for your setup, then you could cut some plate steel or aluminum and make a
            spacer under the motor mounts.

For your transmission install, you can loosen the motor mount bolts a little bit, and that
            will allow the motor to lay back some.
            Jay Johnson
            Car hauler for hire

Comment

Originally posted by jayjohnson600 View Post
              Maybe a cheaper solution would work?

I would first try raising the motor a touch with some washers, and take into consideration
              the motor shake.

If it works for your setup, then you could cut some plate steel or aluminum and make a
              spacer under the motor mounts.

For your transmission install, you can loosen the motor mount bolts a little bit, and that
              will allow the motor to lay back some.
              I've been thinking about a cheaper solution, even if I got the oil pan off the K there is still the issue that my Kooks headers won't clear my K. I could purchase a new set of headers but they're hard to find for High Port heads and a 351w swapped Fox unless I go completely custom but that's another $1,000+ just on headers.

My motor mount nuts aren't even on the motor mounts and the engine still won't go back far enough.

This is basically a bunch of high end parts that don't get along and it's really frustrating.
              '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
              '13 Dodge Cummins
              '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Working...
              X