Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random - how can you improve gas mileage on a civic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
    I got around 40 iirc totally stock with mixed driving. Seemed like it got high 48ish on Austin trips stock. Still had A/C, can't do without that!

I might've posted on the old board about the 92 I had before that. Same mileage, no a/c, no power steering on that one. No a/c was murder! I didn't keep that one very long. lol
    better mileage than our bikes lol......at least mine hah

Comment

is your speedo off with the tire change?
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
        It's been awhile since I googled but there was a transmission in the civic hatches that was designed for better mpg. The hatches are lighter and more aerodynamic, but it's hard to find one that hasn't been butchered by a ricer.

I just wanted to get as much mpg out of the car as is financially reasonable. I don't want to buy carbon parts and high dollar race seats just to drop a few lbs.

I did think about making a splitter out of wood, but didn't want the car to wind up looking too ridiculous.
        I have an 87 Civic hatch sitting out front. Already has manual steering on it from the factory. It's bone stock, just smokes like a chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post

is your speedo off with the tire change?
          I don't remember it seeming like it. Could have been though. I feel mixed about the 165s, they locked up really easily in the rain on asphalt. Also spun easily in the rain, but they were some cheap oddball junk I had to order from walmarts website as no one carried the size I wanted. So even if they were the same size the shitty design probably gripped worse than your typical mid-priced tire from a normal tire store.
          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            I have an 87 Civic hatch sitting out front. Already has manual steering on it from the factory. It's bone stock, just smokes like a chimney.
            How bad of shape is the car in overall in terms of paint/interior? 5spd? A/C work? That's older than I would want, but those cars are even lighter.

Those older ones had the weird carb lookin' fuel injection if I remember right.

All the Honda guys pull out the base motors in the 92-00 cars. I'm sure those are dirt cheap and cheaper than fixing the motor that's in the car. Wonder if it's cheap/easy to swap those motors. If I needed a custom $$$ harness or something that would be out.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
              i'm knocking down 35-40 mpg in a 98 ex 1.6L 5spd with no 5th gear! i saw the same mileage before 5th gear and reverse took a shit.

i dont see how you were getting 54...guess maybe from the manual steering and no a/c? pretty good either way
              Also, when I was looking for a transmission I found some that people were asking under $100 for on craigslist. Might take a look.

Comment

Working...
              X