Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bodymen, need a little advice. (Rattle can painting.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodymen, need a little advice. (Rattle can painting.)

As yall know a lot can be done with a rattle can these days. I certainly wouldn't go painting a whole panel with it or anything, but it can be easily used to help bring certain interior parts back to life. Or exterior. In this case, I was using Duplicolor Automotive Exterior trim paint (that I got from autozone) to paint those little plastic pieces by the back glass on a 98 suburban.

If you are standing behind the burb, the trim would be on the outermost sides of both of the windows on the rear doors. They are plastic, and they were sun damaged. So I sanded them down, using progressively finer grits until they were smooth. Next I followed the directions on the can to the letter, and painted them.

Now here is my question. One of them wound up with a little bit of texture near the bottom of it. How can I fix this without sanding it all the way back down and repainting it? Should I use 1500 grit, and dry sand it, then buff it with a buffer and some polishing compound? Or should I wet sand it, then hand wax it? I'm afraid this is where my limited autobody knowledge ends.

You can try to sand that part down and blend the new paint into the other, but it may show. Sand it, and spray from the bottom up, moving away and feathering the other part. Worst case, sand the whole thing and redo. Anything but glossy paint cant be buffed.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Yeah the paint ain't glossy at all. I was just hoping to find a solution that wouldn't result in having to pull the part and redo. So with your last statement, do you mean that I could perhaps try buffing it before I do anything else? What exactly would you use? A dual action and just some... kind of wax? I don't know dick about auto body lol

Comment

Might be able to knock the tops off and respray it. Get it clean tho, might be cause by wax/grease...as in use a wax/grease remover, and throw that cheap shit in the fkn trash, go to an autobody paint store and get some trim paint. Its not THAT expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
          Yeah the paint ain't glossy at all. I was just hoping to find a solution that wouldn't result in having to pull the part and redo. So with your last statement, do you mean that I could perhaps try buffing it before I do anything else? What exactly would you use? A dual action and just some... kind of wax? I don't know dick about auto body lol
          Maybe you just don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what you read?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Iv used that trim paint and it's really good stuff.

I lightly sanded first with some 400, then sprayed 3 coats about 10 minutes apart. I noticed some texture problems so I sanded again with 1000 and re sprayed another 3 coats. It came out perfect. That is some thick paint so lay it on light, just spray more coats.

Comment

Working...
            X