overheating issues, point in the right way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating issues, point in the right way

i HAD to ditch the clutch fan and wire up and electric fan and i had to add a condensor for ac. the car never over heated when the clutch fan was on there and no condensor and i do not want to put the clutch fan back on. i have a few culprits and wanted to get yalls feed back. found out my shit radiator was leaking so i put a 2 row alluminum one in. the fan blew the 20 amp inline fuse so i replaced it with a 30 amp fuse. blew it on the way to work and temp gauge made it to the 3/4 quarters mark before i got to work. put a 40 amp in before i left work and the fan was still blowing when i got home but the temp gauge was bouncing between 1/2 way and a smidge past half way to where the half way mark was still hidden but you could tell it was just a bit past half. when i added coolant during the radiator swap, i used a nifty snap on tool that hooks up to a compressor and pulls about 28 lbs of vacuum (not sure if lbs is correct unit of measure) and pulls all the air out of the system and then uses the newly created vacuum to fill the system with coolant. seems to have worked like a charm but i didnt check coolant level after running the car. all coolant was filled with engine cold and supposively this tool doesnt need the thermastat to open or does the system need burping. the fan i am using is off a 2002 gt.
    possible culprits
    1. i do not have the factory air dam on the car. maybe i need this to push air back into the radiator?
    2. i do not have an overflow tank so that nipple just leads to nothing. maybe its leaking there? but i am not seeing coolant.
    3. i have the fan wired with just red and black wires. do i need the other wire on the fan to achieve the "high speed" setting?
    4. i have not reset timing since my dizzy went to shit and i want to say i had it at 28* base with the spout in but the car needs to be at 10* base with the spout out. timing causing over heating?
    sorry for all the possibilities but ya'll know i am a noob to working on my own shit and am remaining tenacious with my desire to learn.
    tia

The air dam is recommended for sure, the gt fan has no real shrouding which can be an issue with slow speed cooling, you'll want high speed on the fan, it'll need a large fuse to support it (factory on that Dan is probably 50 or 60 amps), I'd recommend some type of controller for it, and it would benefit from an overflow bottle. It's always recommended to recheck the coolant level after any cooling system repairs, and I recommend checking the .level routinely anyway. Without running an overflow it will usually be an inch or two below cap level as there's nothing to allow coolant to suck back in after it cools from expansion.

And timing at base 10 degrees if it was tuned. It'll be way advanced if you're really at 28 with spout removed.

Comment

today i will put an air dam on, run an overflow tank, set timing, and check coolant levels. any local recommendations on a tank that doesnt look like shit?

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
        today i will put an air dam on, run an overflow tank, set timing, and check coolant levels. any local recommendations on a tank that doesnt look like shit?
        are you running an upgraded or 3g alternator? I had the same problem (asside from loosing coolant) after an electric fan install, and fixed it with a 3g.

Autozone or oreily had a square one that I used.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          are you running an upgraded or 3g alternator? I had the same problem (asside from loosing coolant) after an electric fan install, and fixed it with a 3g.

Autozone or oreily had a square one that I used.
          i do have a 3 g alternator on the car now. this was recent also. how would an alternator cause cooling issues?

Comment

fans draw quite a bit of power, mine was dragging down the battery/alt so much it wasnt spinning fast enough to cool the radiator and condenser. It was fine without the ac on.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              fans draw quite a bit of power, mine was dragging down the battery/alt so much it wasnt spinning fast enough to cool the radiator and condenser. It was fine without the ac on.
              oh ok

Comment

Working...
              X