Alternator/Battery problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator/Battery problem

So my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew had it's first major parts failure after 192K miles, my alternator finally went out. Got it replaced last Friday and now the battery light is always on. Took it back to the shop that did the work and they can't figure out why it's coming on. Battery is reading (going from memory here) a little over 12 Volts with the truck off and I think around 15 Volts with it running. Thinking something is not charging right I left the truck on for 30-45 minutes with the headlights and AC on thinking if it's not charging right it will die but it keeps on running and no problems starting it. Any ideas?? I'm going to take it back sometime this week but didn't feel like dealing with it over the holiday weekend.

I don't know if the 02s are the same, but I had a similar issue with a 93 F150...turned out to be a single wire connector unplugged at the alternator.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

At 15 volts the new alt maybe overcharging thus throwing the battery light.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
        I don't know if the 02s are the same, but I had a similar issue with a 93 F150...turned out to be a single wire connector unplugged at the alternator.
        I'll take a good look at it and see if I can tell if anything is unplugged. Thanks.

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
        At 15 volts the new alt maybe overcharging thus throwing the battery light.
        I did some searching online and apparently 15 volts is normal so that appears to be OK.

Comment

Just an update. Yesterday I barely made it home from work. Definitely having a charging issue of some kind as I barely got the truck home running. Couldn't tell if anything was "unplugged" and really need to take it back to the shop to have them look at it but won't have time to do so till Saturday. Might pull the battery today and take it to Autozone to make sure it's OK.

Comment

(Hopefully) Final update. Apparently I had a bad negative battery cable. Got that replaced and it's running fine finally (no battery light). Going to drive it to work over the next couple of days to make sure it's running OK but from what I can tell they found and fixed the problem.

Comment

Was the battery post or cable corroded?

Comment

Or at the block connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                  (Hopefully) Final update. Apparently I had a bad negative battery cable. Got that replaced and it's running fine finally (no battery light). Going to drive it to work over the next couple of days to make sure it's running OK but from what I can tell they found and fixed the problem.
                  It ran fine because a fresh new battery will run quite well on it's own, even if the alternator isn't recharging it. After it goes low, the grounding issue rears it's head. Glad you got it sorted!
                  Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                  I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                  Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                  Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                  dont downshift!!
                  Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                    Was the battery post or cable corroded?
                    Originally posted by JimD View Post
                    Or at the block connection.
                    It was the cable on the chassis side.

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                    It ran fine because a fresh new battery will run quite well on it's own, even if the alternator isn't recharging it. After it goes low, the grounding issue rears it's head. Glad you got it sorted!
                    Not exactly. Even after the alternator had died and I was running the truck basically on battery power I wouldn't get the battery light. I even ran the truck to a point where it wouldn't start but the battery light hadn't come on. Go figure on that one but I charged the battery up and the truck started right up again. After the new alternator the battery light was on constantly so I'm not sure why that would have changed before and after the alternator replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    X