Chevy hhr question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy hhr question

Ok my dad's hhr started acting up on him. When you start it the dash read out says "SERVICE ESC" then shows "ENGINE POWER REDUCED". I checked all fuses and some had backed out and were kind of loose, read that is common in them. Well same thing. So I rented a scan tool from Autozone and it doesn't communicate with the ECM. I plugged it in and after telling it what kind of car it is I push read codes, well any of the commands really, and it says it must be connected to the vehicle for this to work. To rule out the scan tool I used it on my 03 Dodge and it worked fine. So I'm thinking computer is shot. Any other input? Any ways to check for sure?
    Thanks
    92 LX 5.0

Ok well I just found out that the scan tools have to be CAN capable. I guess I'll have to see if I can find one that is and try it first.
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

You have a blown fuse somewhere if the obd2 scanner is saying that. Re check them all again.

Comment

There should be a fuse that supplies power to the ODB2 connector - check that fuse.

Comment

Well it wasn't a fuse. The scanner I rented was not CAN capable. I couldn't get back over to Dad's until today. So he took it to the dealership and it read fine. Turns out it needs a throttle body because the TPS was bad.
          92 LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
          X