Issues need advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues need advice please.

My 98 GT is smoking more and more each day which leads me to rule out valve seals and assume its the head gaskets. I went and got a compression tester to make sure. I guess this would be a good time to do a PI swap. What is the normal going price for PI heads and intake?

Also my transmission is about to take a dump. I would rather swap over to a manual transmission. What are my transmission options and how big a pain is it to do the swap?

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
    My 98 GT is smoking more and more each day which leads me to rule out valve seals and assume its the head gaskets. I went and got a compression tester to make sure. I guess this would be a good time to do a PI swap. What is the normal going price for PI heads and intake?

Also my transmission is about to take a dump. I would rather swap over to a manual transmission. What are my transmission options and how big a pain is it to do the swap?

first things first, you would know when the head gasket is bad! don't jump to conclusions. it could be a lot of things. like just a valve cover gasket. or something big like the rings...
    how many miles on the engine?

as far as the PI swoop would, and as far as the price it all depends! you can buy a set of used pi heads on craigslist. all day for around $200,

for the transmission. you need a working manual transmission. a ball hosing a set of paddles. a clutch cable im not sure but ma also need different driveshift?

if you really like the car. and wanna keep it i would just save for a new engine.
    my 03 GT has 110k miles on it and as soon as i see smoke or hear a knock. im going to buy an MMR long block...
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
      first things first, you would know when the head gasket is bad! don't jump to conclusions. it could be a lot of things. like just a valve cover gasket. or something big like the rings...
      how many miles on the engine?

as far as the PI swoop would, and as far as the price it all depends! you can buy a set of used pi heads on craigslist. all day for around $200,

for the transmission. you need a working manual transmission. a ball hosing a set of paddles. a clutch cable im not sure but ma also need different driveshift?

if you really like the car. and wanna keep it i would just save for a new engine.
      my 03 GT has 110k miles on it and as soon as i see smoke or hear a knock. im going to buy an MMR long block...
      It's got 180k miles. Well I hope it's not the rings. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Mark 8 swap.

You can buy a complete mark 8 engine for what you will pay for the Pi swap parts. Swap over to a t45 for cheap! And enjoy. The mark 8 engine will run 10x better then the Pi.

You'll want to upgrade to a 96-98 cobra intake, do the imrc delete while you are there and install some Longtubes. You'll be right around 300rwhp, a good 50+ over a Pi engine.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          Mark 8 swap.

You can buy a complete mark 8 engine for what you will pay for the Pi swap parts. Swap over to a t45 for cheap! And enjoy. The mark 8 engine will run 10x better then the Pi.

You'll want to upgrade to a 96-98 cobra intake, do the imrc delete while you are there and install some Longtubes. You'll be right around 300rwhp, a good 50+ over a Pi engine.
          I've been looking for a mark 8 engine but no luck so far.

Oddly enough, I changed the oil over the weekend and it stopped smoking. Don't know what to make of that.

Comment

Working...
          X