Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Chevy Instrument cluster

New to me truck

When I first got it the odometer wouldn't light up consistently and fuel gauge would move around. As of last night the whole instrument cluster started going flaky cutting in and out and that tells me a loose connection or ground. I had found a write up about a bad solder joint on the boards being a problem but can't find it anymore. Any certain areas to check on these?

fuel sending unit is a very common failure on gm in general, 98 up for sure. Most of the time a new sender can be bought from the dealer without having to buy the whole pump module assembly. They also have issues with the lcd display and the motors in the clusters are junk. There is a guy in the dfw area that rebuilds the clusters, heavy duty motors, lcd display etc. You'll have to google for his info.

Comment

Jim cheavers at ac speedo electric on Colorado ln in Arlington . He is on vacation till next week though . He will be back tue or wed.
      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

The clusters are known to shit. Mine completely dies sometimes. Upgrade to an esky cluster from digital dash solutions
        07 f250-family truckster
        08 Denali -baby hauler
        52 f1-rust bucket
        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I order a ton of instrument clusters through GM. We charge a 325.00 exchange, other places are different. In a year I bet I have ordered atleast 150 or so, they are junk.

Comment

I knew the cluster have issues, but the whole cluster would go nuts when I hit a bump. Warning lights and gauges were all over the place. I pulled it out and checked for anything obvious but didn't find anything. Since then is only happens very sporadically

Comment

Working...
            X