Ecoboost oil ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecoboost oil ?

Ok I took my truck to the dealership for it's 2nd oil change today. They bring it around and I ask the guy what oil they used and he said 5w20. I go into the service advisor and ask the same question. He got the paperwork and said it looks like the truck takes 5w20. I informed him he was wrong and that the truck takes 5w30. He balked at this and claimed all fords run on 5w 20 and his service manager backed him up on it. I said ok lets go outside and look at the truck. Pop the hood and what do you know it requires 5w30. They called their parts department and they claimed they don't even stock 5w30 oil. I just kind of laughed at that point and asked if I was at a Ford dealership and left it at that and left. I got my paperwork out from my first oil change and sure enough they used 5w20 then to. So do you think it would hurt the engine or not? I'm more floored that a large dealership doesn't even look at what's required of their own product.

I hate to say it but it happend to me at Ford, the Toyota dealership with my Tundra and at Dodge with my Challenger. It's a fucking shame these dealerships don't know what grade oil goes in their products. Change my own oil !
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
      I hate to say it but it happend to me at Ford, the Toyota dealership with my Tundra and at Dodge with my Challenger. It's a fucking shame these dealerships don't know what grade oil goes in their products. Change my own oil !
      unless its a diesel

Comment

I wouldn't think it would change the life of the engine much less hurt it. As a matter of fact they change up oils slightly when making the truck just to see if they can get better mpg out of it.
        2014 GT
        2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

No damage you should be good to go, the main thing is it had oil in it even if it was the improper viscosity as outlined in the manual. I would make sure they fixed it though.

My 08 calls for 5W-20 but I could run whatever I wanted in it was long as it was a motor oil and it would be alright especially for a single oil change.
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

what dealer ship is this?, i work at a ford dealership and we have oil reels of m 5w20 , 5w30, 15w40 , if all they had was 5w20 they are a shitty dealer
            00 TT gt
            634 @10psi

04 cobra
            560whp

Comment

that's pretty devastating..

Comment

You'll probably get a slight squeak from the seat due to the low viscosity, but nothing to freak out about
                1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

There is almost no difference in the two, the Ford book and Mitchell both list 5w20 as a usable alternative. Your freaking out for nothing.
                  89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Originally posted by eric 2v gt View Post
                    what dealer ship is this?, i work at a ford dealership and we have oil reels of m 5w20 , 5w30, 15w40 , if all they had was 5w20 they are a shitty dealer
                    I know of one then....
                    Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

I wouldnt run anything less than a 30 weight. Its a turbocharged, direct injection engine that is "harsh" on oil.

Comment

Change your own shit and keep the reciepts. Fuck going to any stealership to get an oil change.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

^...OR...take it to a REAL dealership who's not hell bent on just making money...I like the dealer that I'm at due to the smaller size...we take care of our customers. Maybe thats why I make money.

Comment

Some turbo vehicles come from the factory using 5-20. I think Honda is one of them. My VW CC takes synthetic 5-40 so I know your truck isn't taking 5-20.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Working...
                            X