Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Cobra won't start...

Original problem:

Wouldn't start. Attempted jump start and got no results. Replaced battery...no start. The starter wouldn't even turn over....replace starter....still nothing.

(the car runs, drives, shifts, etc. when push started.)

new problem:

after replacing the starter and all that...i was repeatedly turning the ignition just to see what would happen (and out of slight frustration) when my cousin noticed smoke coming from the center console....

The smoke is coming from where the arrows are.

It's coming from inside of the rubber grommet.

does anyone have ANY clue what could be under there causing smoke when the ignition is activated?

feel free to ask any further questions...
    Originally posted by 56482
    only on DFWMUstangs...

You have a major ground problem!

Comment

That's what i was thinking.

is there any way to get into that hole? From under the car there's no access and from there i don't see any access points.
      only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

are you sure the starter is wired up correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
          are you sure the starter is wired up correctly?
          pretty sure.
          only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

That grommet leads to the underside of the car. It is for the parking brake cable to pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
              That grommet leads to the underside of the car. It is for the parking brake cable to pass through.
              This is what i imagined...so, what could possibly be smoking or heating up enough in there to cause smoke?
              only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

I would go through and check all the ground wires along with any positive wires. It is possible that something is shorting out and the smoke is finding its way through that hole.

Comment

Check to make sure the 02 harness is not twisted/grounding out. As crazy as it sounds I've had a stripped/tangled 02 harness cause a no run issue. (Was causing a open ground.) There isn't much else for wiring there other then the backup/speedo harness.
                  1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                  1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                  2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Sounds like you've got a connection problem with the main ground cable. Heavy Ground wire that goes from the battery to the motor. IT HAS TO GO FROM THE BATTERY TO THE ENGINE, if not all the amp load will try to go through anything going from the engine\trans\drivetrain to the body. This could be the park brake cables, clutch cable, small ground straps, etc. Find your ground problem and likely your starting issue at the same time.

FYI, don't attempt starting it until you feel you've fixed it. One repair attempt would be to run a new cable from the battery to the existing engine ground location.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                      Sounds like you've got a connection problem with the main ground cable. Heavy Ground wire that goes from the battery to the motor. IT HAS TO GO FROM THE BATTERY TO THE ENGINE, if not all the amp load will try to go through anything going from the engine\trans\drivetrain to the body. This could be the park brake cables, clutch cable, small ground straps, etc. Find your ground problem and likely your starting issue at the same time.

FYI, don't attempt starting it until you feel you've fixed it. One repair attempt would be to run a new cable from the battery to the existing engine ground location.
                      I'm with this guy. Put it on Jack stands and get under it to see what you can see when its smoking also.

Comment

Pull the battery and check the ground strap under it. Same thing happend to me one time on a foxbody. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out. Not sure if the sn95 cars are wired the same but start looking for lose ground cables like whiteboy said.

Comment

Working...
                        X