Tool organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool organization

I got a new tool box for christmas and I thought I'd see if there was some standard way to organize the thing before I just start cramming it full of tools.

So the question is how do my fellow stangers organize their box?

I've got these little plastic handle things for about 1/3 of my wrenches. I kind of like them when i need a few sizes in the car but it doesnt work well for all the other wrenches in the box. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7582308_n.jpg

Heres my tool box upgrade. I've had the bottom roller for a few years and then I had the box on the right that I outgrew a long time ago. Now i've got the black top on the left. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5076777_n.jpg

lid=specialty tools
    top tray= screwdrivers and nut drivers
    2nd tray = electrical ex... volt meter, gauges, fuses, ect
    3rd tray = vice grips, channel locks, crescent wrenches
    4th tray = sockets
    5th tray = metric wrenches
    6th tray = standard wrenches

Comment

Ive gotta get busy and organize mine better, i really need a bigger box to put some of them in.

Comment

On all my tool boxes work and personal I always put the most used tools in the first top drawers and then least used towards the bottom. I shadowed most of my tools mainly because most companies it was a requirement.

A freind of mine and I dont remember where he got it. he used this black rubber mat it was about 3/4" thick, It was not your typical mat/foam used for tool boxes. He placed his tools in the oven and then placed them on the foam they sunk in leaving a nice fooprint of each tool. It was very neat and orderly. Of course not all of his tools he was able to do this with. mainly wrenches, sockets,tools with little moving parts.
        Last edited by Boondock Saint; 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM.
        And Shepherds we shall be

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Comment

Originally posted by Boondock Saint View Post
          On all my tool boxes work and personal I always put the most used tools in the first top drawers and then least used towards the bottom. I shadowed most of my tools mainly because most companies it was a requirement.

A freind of mine and I dont remember where he got it. he used this black rubber mat it was about 3/4" thick, It was not your typical mat/foam used for tool boxes. He placed his tools in the oven and then placed them on the foam they sunk in leaving a nice fooprint of each tool. It was very neat and orderly. Of course not all of his tools he was able to do this with. mainly wrenches, sockets,tools with little moving parts.
          What do you mean by shadowed them? Had doubles?

Comment

He's probably talking about aero/military style.
            Kind of like this
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondock Saint View Post
              He placed his tools in the oven and then placed them on the foam they sunk in leaving a nice fooprint of each tool.
              That's a DAMN good idea. Heat sensitive foam. I'm assuming not so hot as to start a fire but just hot enough to shrink the foam, leaving an imprint. I'm going to have to start looking for that! Great idea.
              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I think it's more of a personal preference and according to the box. My home and work boxes are similar in some ways and very different in others because of drawer sizes and different tools. My roll carts are the same way. I keep whats most used in them.

Comment

Working...
                X