No announcement yet.

'96 Impala coolant is boiling over....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Impala coolant is boiling over....

....where do I start? Recently pulled the water pump off to do a cap and rotor replacement. New wires and plugs and pcv. Wasn't running hot before this. WTF?

sent from an htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
    Last edited by projectPONY; 08-13-2012, 05:44 AM.
    --carlos

sigpic

im sure you arent as dumb as i, but after the h/c/i swap on the vert i put the therm in backwards.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

No, its in correctly. Verified it several times. Been at this since 4pm yesterday. Quit about 5 this morn. and went to bed. Couldn't sleep so I got out of bed at 6:30.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

...just pulled the stat out of some boiling water also. it looks to be opening up just fine, but a little slower than expected. I think I'm gonna replace it anyway. gonna get a radiator cap while I'm there. I can't think of anything else.
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you may have a air bubble in the system. Drill a small bleed hole in the stat and put it back in.

Comment

Just brought it up to temp and it seems to be holding. I installed a new stat and I did drill a hole in it. Quite honestly I think it was the radiator cap. Bro just got here and he took it for a spin.

I don't hear the boiling in the reservoir.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

You could've been a good brother and set that boat on fire!!
              2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
              2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Originally posted by BigTitan21 View Post
                You could've been a good brother and set that boat on fire!!

believe me, I thought about it many times!
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like air in the system, check to see if there's a bleeder on the system. Usually a small plug to loosen and let it out. Might be on t-stat housing, but it will be located high in the cooling system.
                  sigpic

Comment

Those LT1's suck at getting the air out of the system. Also note, those water pumps are driven off of a dowl sticking out of the cam. If that breaks off you have no pumpy pumpy.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I got it worked out fellas, thanks. I did find that bleed valve and I opened it as I was filling the system and the dowel was all intact when pump was removed and replaced. quite honestly I believe it was the radiator/coolant tank cap. my Exploder boiled on me once and I replaced the cap and all was well.

hey ZO6, how's that mini tub project coming?
                      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Sloooooowly. I'll get it there. I have 20 other things going on too and working in a hot, cramped 2 car garage is tasking.
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

My impala wasn't as cool as yours but anytime i had the coolant boil, it was due to a faulty rad. cap.
                          .....bro....

Comment

Working...
                          X