Any manual trans expertise in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any manual trans expertise in here?

So this past Monday we drove my old Ranger across town to replace an engine with a nasty rod knock. No trans problems at all.

We yanked the engine and replaced it with another. It started and ran perfectly on the first turn of the key, but now the shifter will not make the trans go into / out of any gear.

It's actually stuck in "a" gear. Which gear, I'm not sure. We jacked the rear end up and let out the clutch to see if that would free something up but it did not.

With the engine running, the clutch will engage and disengage normally. The tires turn when enagaged just like you would expect. It will idle with the clutch disengaged and the tires do not spin.

It feels like something inside the trans is in a bind and will not allow the shifter to move the internals. Without the shifter on, you can see that the centering spring is in place and acting normal.

Any ideas? I seriously do not want to pull the trans again. Thanks.

When the government pays, the government controls.

A few more details.

We didn't damage the transmission that I am aware of. We just unbolted it from one block and onto the other. It didn't roll over onto its side or anything like that.

There was no binding when we installed the transmission. It just went right on and slid all the way forward to the block. The pilot bearing is in good shape.

The transmission is a M5OD-R1, if that helps.

Comment

Sure both lines on the slave are connected?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Did you remove the shifter nub ? There are 3 torx bits that hold it down, that the only thing I can think of off the top of me head. It may have been in "A" gear then when it was reinstalled it was put back in outside of the 3 slots that the bottom of the nub fits in. It is accessible inside the cab. YOu can remove the nub and you will see 3 "gates" make sure they are all in the middle position and check to see if you can achieve neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          Sure both lines on the slave are connected?
          There is only one line to the slave cylinder. The bleeder works, it has been bled, and the clutch appears to be functional since we can engage/disengage the engine to the driveline. Just can't shift into/out of gears.

Originally posted by Skidonenko View Post
          Did you remove the shifter nub ? There are 3 torx bits that hold it down, that the only thing I can think of off the top of me head. It may have been in "A" gear then when it was reinstalled it was put back in outside of the 3 slots that the bottom of the nub fits in.
          The entire shifter comes off as one piece, as you said, with the three torx screws. The shifter only fits one way, and the sheetmetal collar at the base of the shifter just spins around to align the holes for the screws. The shifter goes all the way down like it should, and the screws were tightened all the way.

It is accessible inside the cab. YOu can remove the nub and you will see 3 "gates" make sure they are all in the middle position and check to see if you can achieve neutral.
          We are working inside the cab. I didn't see three 'gates' down in the shifter hole. I see the spring-loaded centering pin on the right, which normally makes the shifter 'feel' like it's in Neutral when it's not in a gear, and it seems to be working. There is a lever, or shift fork, that is toward the front of the truck. That thing needs to be able to move by input from the shifter, but it is stuck in place.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the hole in the trans with the shifter removed, I understand what the previous post was about with the hate references. I was thinking similar to that post, I have stabbed the shifter wrong on a gated setup and had to pull the shifter, move the misaligned fork to neutral and reassembled.

Comment

After a little more cursing and jiggling, my dad "got something to pop into place" and all is well with the world.

When in doubt, jiggle more.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X