Need advice, problem with engine/c4 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice, problem with engine/c4 install

So I just want to make sure I'm on the right track with this and make sure nothing else would cause this problem.

I just got back from my buddy's shop where we just finished putting a new motor in his Maverick. All was fine until after we got it in and bolted up. It's bolted up to the mounts and transmission properly, all that good stuff.

Here's where we ran into a problem. We put a TCI convertor in also with this motor. The convertor was seated onto the transmission correctly, it went all the way back like it was supposed to. Everything was still normal until he went to put the nuts on the convertor studs. He put the first one on, and when we tried to rotate the motor to get to the rest of them, it is in a bind. It won't rotate at all. It rotated fine when we put the flexplate on right before we dropped it in. All the studs line up with and are through the holes in the flexplate like they should be. I am 100% sure that the convertor is seated correctly, because I know what it looks like when it isn't, I made that mistake once on my Fairlane, luckily before it went in the car.

Here's what I'm thinking the problem is. He said that the convertor came with the studs uninstalled, so he had to put them in the convertor. I'm thinking that the studs that are now up toward the top that we can't see may not be screwed in far enough, hitting the block and/or plate. He said when he put them in that he screwed them in to where they were sticking out only the thickness of the nut, yet when he torqued the first nut down, about a full thread is sticking out past the nut. I don't know if he has them all like that or if some of the others might be out a bit further.

Is there anything else that would cause this?
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

I did something similar, tq fell forward and I rotated it to get it in the flywheel, pressing it into the pump.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      I did something similar, tq fell forward and I rotated it to get it in the flywheel, pressing it into the pump.
      I don't think that happened, it seems like when that happened to me on with my Fairlane stuff, it was very obvious, because the outside of the flexplate was pushed forward. This one looks like the stud/nut that is exposed will clear the block, it doesn't look pushed out.

But I guess either way we have to take it back apart so I'll just make sure Saturday when we work on it more.

BTW, here's the motor and the car it's going in. 01 Explorer shortblock, TFS Track Heat 170 58cc heads, TFS stage 1 cam, RPM air gap, new Holley 670. I think it will do good in the little Mav.

63 Fairlane

Comment

Did you try taking the 1 converter nut back off to see if it would spin freely or if you could at least move the crank using the slack in the flexplate hole for the converter stud. That would help indicate if it was a problem with the converter\trans side of it.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
          Did you try taking the 1 converter nut back off to see if it would spin freely or if you could at least move the crank using the slack in the flexplate hole for the converter stud. That would help indicate if it was a problem with the converter\trans side of it.
          I'll try that first before I try to take it back apart.
          63 Fairlane

Comment

Well it did ended up being the torque converter not seated properly. Pulled it back a part this morning, fixed it and put everything back in.

I didn't get to work on it too much today, but we should have it running tomorrow. Just need to add fluids and hoses.
            63 Fairlane

Comment

Originally posted by 351Coupe View Post
              I don't think that happened, it seems like when that happened to me on with my Fairlane stuff, it was very obvious, because the outside of the flexplate was pushed forward. This one looks like the stud/nut that is exposed will clear the block, it doesn't look pushed out.

But I guess either way we have to take it back apart so I'll just make sure Saturday when we work on it more.

BTW, here's the motor and the car it's going in. 01 Explorer shortblock, TFS Track Heat 170 58cc heads, TFS stage 1 cam, RPM air gap, new Holley 670. I think it will do good in the little Mav.

Needs small bumpers. It's a much better look.

sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Are you going to run coil on plug setup? I see you have a cam sensor installed.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  Are you going to run coil on plug setup? I see you have a cam sensor installed.
                  No, was just in there to plug the hole. It came with the motor. He bought that motor for 200$ from out of an 01 Explorer hit in the back that had 60k miles on it. It was complete from oil pan to throttle, with ECM and all the wiring too.

It's alive and well now, we just took it for a test drive.
                  63 Fairlane

Comment

No, was just in there to plug the hole. It came with the motor. He bought that motor for 200$ from out of an 01 Explorer hit in the back that had 60k miles on it. It was complete from oil pan to throttle, with ECM and all the wiring too.

It's alive and well now, we just took it for a test drive.
                    Sad. Coil on plug is so much fun. Lol
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Well what was it?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        Well what was it?
                        Well it did ended up being the torque converter not seated properly. Pulled it back a part this morning, fixed it and put everything back in.

I didn't get to work on it too much today, but we should have it running tomorrow. Just need to add fluids and hoses.
                        Posted above...

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          Sad. Coil on plug is so much fun. Lol
                          Oh believe me, I brought up the idea to him. He said maybe later, lol.
                          63 Fairlane

Comment

Need to get all these Mavericks together sometime! That one should run real good!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X