No announcement yet.

tips/tricks for axle shaft replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owe a few of you a beer or two. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Oh. You drilled there . I wouldn't have thought to do that. I still think it will be fine tho. No stress is really oh on that . I'm sure someone will chime in. To be safe tho I'd get a New one and swap it out when time comes to change the fluid again.

Comment

Swap it out now ! I don't want to see a thread about the pin backing out and scattering your diff . It costs a dollar and if shit goes south the whole rear end is scrap .
        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Yes get a new pin way cheaper then a destroying the rear end. And great job I have never seen anyone drill one that way very nice outside of the box thinking but I would not reuse it.

Comment

As I said. I think you'd be just fine. But to be safe deal it out

Comment

I would not chance it . I have seen complete carriers trashed because that pin came out. Destroyed the carrier and beat the hell out of the housing.
              http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

There isn't any pressure on that cross pin so as long as the bolt doesn't come loose that cross pin isn't going anywhere.
                sigpic

Comment

But unless it is your daily, there is no need to risk expensive parts or you safety to not wait a day or so
                  http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                    There isn't any pressure on that cross pin so as long as the bolt doesn't come loose that cross pin isn't going anywhere.
                    No that diff spinning at thousands of rpms = great pressure.

Comment

for future ref, the bolt usually breaks at or near the bottom thread. I've always been able to use a pick and/or magnet to get it out. once you start drilling, you're usually fucked
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Im sure someone has a good stock pin that they will let you have.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicbluegt View Post
                          That would put the pressure on the bolt, not the pin.

Comment

If anything throw balance off. If you get some odd vibrations then I'd worry

Comment

Originally posted by sonicbluegt View Post
                              It's not "thousands" it's actually less than a 1000. Closer to 875rpm depending on trans gears and whatnot and that was calculated at 80mph. Agreed it's a decent amount of pressure, but it's not on the large cross pin, but more on the bolt/pin that holds it in place which happens to be in double shear which is incredibility strong.

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                              If anything throw balance off. If you get some odd vibrations then I'd worry

Comment

Working...
                              X