Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left hand bit..... broken. Yay.

Comment

Yep. It's fucked. Pretty sure the threads are toast and it's still stuck in there. I can move the pin back and forth a little so it's not completely seized up, but the bolt hasn't moved other than what got dug out to this point.

Comment

hey watch out for that little bolt....haha.

i just saw this and going to suggest buying a new bolt and toss the one that you pull out, but it looks like you have to do that anyway. i wonder if you drill the end of the cross pin out and just replace it also
        http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

I've had one that was really bad like that and ended up having to use a torch to wash the cross pin out with, they will ruin a drill bit really fast.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Everything has pretty much been recommended short of an airhammer to bust the pin out but you would also need a new carrier if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
              hey watch out for that little bolt....haha.

i just saw this and going to suggest buying a new bolt and toss the one that you pull out, but it looks like you have to do that anyway. i wonder if you drill the end of the cross pin out and just replace it also
              Attempting that as I type this, actually charging the battery. BFH and a punch on the cross pin was a no go.

What a waste of a day.

I really appreciate the suggestions.

Comment

Tim, you may have to get that thing out of there "by any means necessary" and then get a new differential. It does suck, bad. I've mangled the threads on one carrier and still made it work. Remember that it's a retaining pin and doesn't see a lot of force. It just keeps the spider shaft in place. Good luck dude.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  Tim, you may have to get that thing out of there "by any means necessary" and then get a new differential. It does suck, bad. I've mangled the threads on one carrier and still made it work. Remember that it's a retaining pin and doesn't see a lot of force. It just keeps the spider shaft in place. Good luck dude.
                  Got the center pin out by drilling through it length-wise to the bolt holding it in. I'll post a pic once I get cleaned up. Used a magnet stuck to the carrier and slid the pin back and forth until the bolt remnants worked loose. I may have enough threads to get the new bolt back in, but I'll need a new pin for sure. Anyone have one lying around?

What a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    yeah, maybe cut across where the bolt goes with a cut off or a bur bit
                    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                      Got the center pin out by drilling through it length-wise to the bolt holding it in. I'll post a pic once I get cleaned up. Used a magnet stuck to the carrier and slid the pin back and forth until the bolt remnants worked loose. I may have enough threads to get the new bolt back in, but I'll need a new pin for sure. Anyone have one lying around?

What a pain in the ass.
                      Dealer, junkyard. Easy to get.

As long as you don't break the one you're removing.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

the fucking pin

now the new problem. The spider gears(I guess??) slid down in front of the pin hole, on both sides. Like the insides are rotated.

One hour my ass! lol

Comment

Good deal getting it done. Look at it this way. Now you know what not to do next time

Comment

I guess one of the axles turned when I was messing with it, that's why the pin wouldn't go back in. Dur.

So now everything is almost back together. What do you guys think of putting the old pin back in like it is? I obviously don't know a damn thing when it comes to rear ends, but it seems to me that it wouldn't have any issues as it is. I mean I don't think there is any shear stress on the part I had to drill out, or maybe there is. Let me know what you guys think. I would love to put it all back together tonight if possible.

Comment

Yeah go ahead and slap it back together . You didn't hurt anything. All it does is keep the axles and spider gears in place. You'll be fine

Comment

All back in. Threads didn't have a problem. Only 12 hours and three trips to the storeto get this done. lmao

Comment

Working...
                                X