No announcement yet.

tips/tricks for axle shaft replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips/tricks for axle shaft replacement?

Out of all of the things I've done to this 96 GT, I have never done anything with the rear end aside from u-joints, and I don't even think that counts.

Recently discovered I have a bent axle and have obviously never swapped one out before. I already have a new one with new lug studs, bearing, and seal. I've looked up a video on what actually needs to be done, but any tips or tricks to make things easier would be nice. Nothing worse than getting the car disassembled and realizing I need to make a trip to O'Reilly in the middle of it.

Thanks

A slide hammer to remove the old bearing.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Im sure the video covered removing the center pin in the diff so you can get access to the C clips? Ill just say be very careful when loosening the small bolt that retains the center pin. They've been known to break off, and then you have a fun broken bolt extraction project...just ask MattB
      Last edited by TRAXX; 08-09-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Black rtv for the cover gasket , 6pt 8mm or 5/16 for the cross pin bolt so you don't round it off . Lube the axle seal before reassembly . Don't drag the axle on the seal when sliding it in . Don't spin the axle with the pin out or you'll drop the spider gears . Keep the brake pads clean while working on it . I think that's it.
        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
          Im sure the video covered removing the center pin in the diff so you can get access to the C clips? Ill just say be very carefull when loosening the small bolt that retains the center pin. They've been known to break off, and then you have a fun broken bolt extraction project...just ask MattB
          A left hand drill bit will usually get them out pretty easy.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Great input.

Trevor, the video covered the basic how-to type stuff. It didn't touch on things like Reefer Rae mentioned though. Those are the types of things I was hoping to hear. I appreciate it.

What about diff fluid? A quick Google-fu search and all I could come up with is arguments about what fluid to use. Synthetic vs. dino, to use friction modifier or not to use friction modifier, etc.

It's just a daily driver with 3.73s. It will never see a race track.

Comment

I would just run the dino with the friction mod personally.

Comment

If it's a limited slip use 75-140 I recommend royal purple , it has the friction modifier in it already . If it's a open diff 80-90 will be fine .
                Edit : in 96 the locker mechanism was mechanical with no clutches 80-90 chepo will be fine .
                The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                  If it's a limited slip use 75-140 I recommend royal purple , it has the friction modifier in it already . If it's a open diff 80-90 will be fine .
                  stock 8.8 on a 96 Mustang GT. Sooooo....

Comment

Cheapo is fine

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                      Cheapo is fine
                      haha, thanks

Comment

Grab some old rags and stuff them behind the old bearing before you try to remove it, keeping debris out of the axle tube. I have yet to remove one without it scattering crap.

Comment

Do not forget to enjoy the lovely smell.

Good supply of brake cleaner helps for cleaning stuff up. Its a pretty easy job. While you have it apart clean and lube your brake caliper slide pins. If the axle flange was bent, it will have worked the slide pins pretty hard.
                          Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Last question. Black RTV in addition to a gasket or just the black RTV?

Comment

Just the RTV

Comment

Working...
                              X